Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DTMF vs. three-tone paging tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

themaritimegirl

Technical User
Jun 8, 2016
CA
I was watching someone's video on YouTube demonstrating paging on a Norstar system, and when they initiated the page, instead of the usual DTMF page tone that Norstar systems make, it was a series of three beeps. They were paging through another phone, not an external page system. I've never heard that tone before. Did some PBXs use it instead of the usual DTMF tone, or did early versions of the software use that tone? All I know is they were running a 6x16.

It's an external unit attached to the KSU. What it is I'd like to know as I have a client that heard something nice when hearing a page in a store. I went to the store but they wouldn't let me into the equipment room....

The tone is coming through the phones themselves though. Is it possible for some external device to modify that?

I found a 10+ year old thread here where someone else observed it and said that early software versions used it - I was wondering if anyone else could confirm that it was that, or something else.

Yes older software had something like 3 ascending tones versus the 1 steady tone nowadays.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Yes Curlycord is so right. Earlier Norstar systems such as the DR1/DR2/DR3 had the tri tone ascending tones for the phones internal paging. I believe DR5.1 changed this tone to the single tone used on all Norstar and BCM systems afterwards.

Curly perhaps you can explain this? I have a friend that bought a BCM50 from Australia and it's default page tone is the tri-tone paging tone!

Mr. Maritimeman, you might find this interesting. I use the UCx from E-MetroTel which is the next generation Nortel product. You can record .wav files into the system. I recorded the tri tone paging tone from an older Norstar DR1 on my Iphone, took the file into audacity, cleaned it up, and then uploaded it to the E-MetroTel Ucx and it's my default paging tone. It comes through the phone speakers and overhead speakers because I use a SNOM PA1 for overhead paging.

I worked at a Walgreens store back in the 1990s as a teenager, and we had the older Norstar software. Feature 62 was set for default overhead paging only. There are 10 phones in the pharmacy and we had an overly jumpy pharmacist. I used to sometimes page using Feature 630 which paged the phones in the RX and it freaked the hell out of him!

Joseph Sus Jr. Nortel Emetrotel Consultant

Joe! I was hoping I would run across you on here. I discovered your blog and your YouTube channel a few weeks ago, and your content is part of the reason I've developed an interest in Nortel phone systems, and eventually want to get a hold of a small Norstar or BCM50 system to play around with. Did you get the personal message I sent you on YouTube?

Thanks for the info on the page tones.

Yes I did see that post but have not figured that one out yet.
Australia is not a choice for a region.
Maybe they were specially made for the carrier down under like they did for BT in the UK.

I will see if I can find the file in the BCM.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

I apologize, I can't access the account on youtube for some stupid reason. I have to reset my password and google isn't even letting me do that now.

Can you ask me the question here please?

Oops, now I'm the one that never responded! I'm set up to receive emails when responses come in but never got any for this thread - sorry.

I searched your name on Linkedin but didn't find anything. Basically the message I sent on YouTube was to say that I found your blog and really enjoy it, and I wanted to offer to send you a bunch of pictures of different Meridian 1 and Meridian Digital Centrex phones at my workplace, if you wanted to show them on your blog.

Drop the Jr in the search.

Here try this link

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Thanks curlycord!

Apparently messaging on LinkedIn is a premium feature.
We've strayed off the original topic of this thread long enough now, so I won't worry about it anymore. Maybe consider a "Contact Us" link on your blog in the future? When I was first hunting for a way to contact you I spent maybe an hour looking for one...!

Maritime Man, you can add me to linkedin without paying, just find my name and ask to add me. Whats your name on youtube, I have finally been able to crack into my old gmail account and look at emails. When was your post on there and to which video about paging?

My YouTube name is themaritimeman. I didn't post to any of your videos, I sent you a private message, not about paging, but about what I said in my previous post:

themaritimeman said:
Basically the message I sent on YouTube was to say that I found your blog and really enjoy it, and I wanted to offer to send you a bunch of pictures of different Meridian 1 and Meridian Digital Centrex phones at my workplace, if you wanted to show them on your blog.

Hello Maritimeman!

Would love to chat with you. Did my message come through? Try contacting me again and I'll respond. Other wise look for Joe Sus Chicago Walgreens Johnson Design Group keywords on Linkedin and you'll find me!

Nope, didn't get a message. I don't use my LinkedIn account so I really have no idea how to use it lol. I found you and sent you an invite, anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back