Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.dtf file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2002
GB
Can anyone help? We have been sent an email with several attachments, and the result is a c.dtf file. When I look on the web, this apparently relates to an Exchange header file used when sending to Lotus Notes. This doesn't help me try and extract the attachments... can anyone help?

Will

This is one of those two-way blame games, each side saying its the other's fault. Take a look as MSKB articles Q136204 and Q138053. They expain this pretty well. In a nutshell, the MS mail client sends out the message as rich text, assuming the recipient can also receive rich-text (and of course, since nobody uses anything but Microsoft soaftware, this is a safe assumption, right?). Unfortunately, Notes decides all that rich-text stuff isn't purely SMTP compliant, so it's turned into an attachment, which you then have no way of opening unless you install a MS mail program (i.e. Outlook or Outlook Express). I'm sure there must be a utility out there that'll let you open the .dtf without installing a MS mail app, but I haven't come across one yet. Short term, the best you can do is ask the sender to open your address in their address book, go to the "SMTP Address" tab and turn off the "Always Send to this Recipient in Microsoft Exchange Rich Text Format" option.

Thanks. Your information is very useful! :)

I shall bear this all in mind, should it happen again. In the mean-time, we asked the client to resend the documents zipped up, and this seems to have worked.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back