Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DTC not working on Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvmurphy

Programmer
Jul 29, 2003
US
SQL Server 2000 SP3 & Windows 2003 Standard Edition

I have read many posts regarding this problem, including the MS KB article 295086, most seem to deal with W2000, and we are currently running W2003.
I’ve confirmed that DTC services are running on the 2003 machine, and our SQL Server Name and the Computer’s name are the same. Transactions being two W2000 machines work fine.

Server: Msg 7391, Level 16, State 1, Procedure customer, Line 3 The operation could not be performed because the OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' was unable to begin a distributed transaction. [OLE/DB provider returned message: New transaction cannot enlist in the specified transaction coordinator.]
Thanks in advance,

Jim

DTS is not working on Windows 2003, sorry about the mistake.

Jim

I assume that this is comming up when you are trying to run a distributed transaction between a Windows 2003 SQL Server and a Windows 2000 SQL Server or between two Windows 2003 SQL Servers?

Follow these directions on the Windows 2003 server(s) and it should let you start using DTS. (I know it's for a different problem, but it's the correct fix.)

By default the security on Windows 2003 Server's DTC settings are locked down to tight for SQL to make use of distributed transactions.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

Thanks Denny, my query is between a windows 2000 and a windows 2003 server. I will follow the instructions in the link and let you know how everything works out!

Jim

Denny,

Thanks, everything is working! One thing though, after making the changes in the MSDTC Security Configuration, message stated that the services would be stopped and then restarted. I tried a transaction a few minutes later and got the same error message. I then rebooted the server, and tried again and it worked! Many thanks!

Jim

The MSDTC Service may not have started correctly. I can't remember if I had to reboot, or start anything manually. It was a while ago that I had to do this. I'm glad it worked though.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back