Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DTA0019 and Frame Losses on PRI service

Status
Not open for further replies.

rheusdens

Vendor
May 11, 2006
CA
I have a pri from the telco that is not slipping but about 3 weeks ago the PRI loop started to experience frame losses, no slips etc but frame losses just like this person's thread thread798-1564761 . My system is a CSE 6.0 system with one PRI but exact same symptoms. I have changed out the pairs to the server room, the card, I moved the TMDI to a new cabinet so I have done everything I can think of. Any suggestions would be appreciated.. telco of course says it's not their issue.

Yes the tracking is locked to the the TMDI card and is sync'd properly to the CO. I don't have any slips, just losses of frames.

If the FRAME LOSS is continues place a loopback before TELCO and let it run, DCH will not come up but it should SYNC on itself. check the LCNT for FRAME LOSS, if none call TELCO.
Clocking will cause FRAME SLIP not FRAME LOSS

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

The loopback might prove the card is ok, but you need voice traffic on the pri span to cause frame loss. The pri looks fine as long as there are no B channels in use, once the BCH's start being used up, then the frame losses really start then the card resets the loop.

swap clocks to see if you still have the problem. but from experience frame loss is usually something with the LEC. You would see other errors if it was your system.

As a Public Utility the LEC must provide a certain level of uptime to their customer base. If there is an issue and it is their fault they have to report this. Push them for a vendor meet. In all the years that I have been doing this I have never had to pay for the dispatch. they will find something.

The customer forced the telco to replace the card yesterday, so far since they have done that there has only been on frame loss since last night. I will continue to monitor it and keep everyone up to date.

Still loosing frames, 9 so far today an counting and thats with little to no traffic on the loop.

More monitoring.. watched the PRI loop take a complete dive right at about 2pm, loss of frame caused the PRI loop to reboot, slipd counter jumped up to 17, and then the frame losses went crazy right after that. The counter went up from 9 to 34 in a matter of minutes. I am wondering if rebooting will change anything? The counter has calmed down again, there are more calls on the system happening and only 2 frame slips after two hours. I adjusted the LD 73 ddb so that the pri wont reset after frame losses and changed the criteria for alarm to combat the number of DTA0019's that fly by. This does not fix the issue, but rather stays off outages.

If the PRI is dropping as more channels go busy it could be that the carrier has the line coding/frame format wrong on their side, possibly in a repeater, etc. The PRI will pass Bert tests but will fail as traffic builds on it.

Pcat.. I would tend to agree if the service was net new.. however, the system has been in and working for almost 2 years with no issues other than this one to date.

Just tell the telco that you are going to replace the hardware, but you need to know where to send the bill if the problem ends up being the circuit.

Whether or not they changed out anything at the CO? You'll have better luck finding out who shot Kennedy.

Ask for the vendor meet. This is probably a bad pair coming to your facility, or possibly a bad smartjack card at your site

According to the Telco, they replaced the card in the UMC at the request of the customer. Now the problem has evolved a bit, there are fewer frame losses but now the pri just goes into yellow alarm, drops and then re-establishes. This repeated last night about 5 times. The slip-d and slip-r counts after last nights oos-yel and oos-red were 698!! Today during the day there were no problems except one outage that was sudden at 4pm ish and lasted a few moments, made the losfa goto 28 and at last check, the counters have not changed since and it is almost 11pm now. Now what?

PRI LOOP 11
TRSH CNT:
BPV -000
SLIPD -000
SLIPR -001
CRC -000
LOSFA -028
OS_BPV -000
OS_LOSFA-000
OS_YEL -001

have you lopped the PRI back to yourself at the fartherest point in the customers facility, like unplug from their dmarc and test to see if you can run clean and establish to it and get ther RLS WRONG MODE message?

Thanks,

Buddy

Linked in Profile

Yes I have tested it using that method. I changed all the cable pairs to the Demarc point and looped back to me and I did get the rls wrong mode message. Overnight there were no losses of frames, no yellow alarms, the PRI is running clean thus far. Only one blip yesterday.. I will see how it goes today.

Got an update from the Telco, looks like the UMC carrier cabinet they are served by is oversubscribed and thus many customers have been affected by momentary outages etc similar to ours but not as severe. It amazes me how little information flows down to the people that deal with the problems on the customer service side at Telco's, there have been 4 open tickets and not one dealt with the issue or they said it was clearly a problem with our PBX. It was only after the customer escillated within the Telco that someone finally got us the answer that makes sense. Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back