Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DT Messaging can not start - head scratcher 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

daneicher

MIS
Nov 24, 2003
US

I had a working install. To my knowledge nothing changed.
I rebooted the server this morning and received a message DT Messaging system could not start.

It keeps pointing me to resolv.conf and hosts. Checked all of them out and played with them and have not been able to resolve the problem.

Althought, if I go in to smit mktcpip and just make two small changes, everything starts up fine.

These two changes are:
1. putting in a default gateway.
2. saying yes to start services.

Then I can logout and use the system fine until next reboot.

When the system reboots, the default gateway again is gone, and I get the DT Messaging error again.

Can someone point me down the right path?

Thanks,
Dan

You can manually set the gateway at startup in /etc/rc.net.

Find the "Traditional Configuration" section, and within that section you should find examples of setting static routes. Below these examples, add this:
Code:
/usr/sbin/route add default xx.xx.xx.xx >>$LOGFILE 2>&1
where xx.xx.xx.xx is the numeric IP address of your gateway.

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L

Thanks, but the error message about DT Messaging was sending me down the wrong path. I beat on the problem from the statd -a angle. What I found was in smit I was entering information for a static tcp/ip setup (ip, netmask, gateway) - somehow dhcpcd was running. It looks like these were fighting. I went in to rc.tcpip and commented out dhcpcd and all is now happy.

Thanks for the information.
d.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back