Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSUM and DMAX Nesting using Domain functions??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ordendelfai

Technical User
Nov 8, 2002
US
Access 97

I have a feeling that I am over complicating and thinking this and hope someone has a better solution.

qry_VIEW_Membership FIELDS:
PHID (Number)
Year_Month (text field)
Total_Subs (Number)
Total_Members (Number)

I have to sum this query's [Total_Subs] for each [PHID] using only the most recent [Year_Month] for each PHID. The problem is that some PHIDS may have "2004/06" as their most recent Year_Month, while others may have "2004/01" (and so on).

My attempt to use a calculated field in a query as below just hangs (the query never resolves, or maybe it is just taking a LONG time).

Code:
Test: DSum("[Total_Subs]","qry_VIEW_Membership","[Year_Month] = '" & DMax("[Year_Month]","qry_VIEW_Membership","[PHID] = " & [PHID] & "") & "'")

Here is the Access SQL behind the query:
Code:
SELECT DISTINCT qry_VIEW_Membership.PHID, DSum("[Total_Subs]","qry_VIEW_Membership","[Year_Month] = '" & DMax("[Year_Month]","qry_VIEW_Membership","[PHID] = " & [PHID] & "") & "'") AS Test
FROM qry_VIEW_Membership;

Thanks for any advice or help! :)

~Joel

Ack, I made a mistake. The Access Calculated field and SQL code is below. Interestingly enough, when I changed it to "TOP 25" and eliminated DISTINCT, this code works and does not hang. However, it needs to be DISTINCT, and run about..oh..100 times faster... ;-)

Code:
Test: DSum("[Total_Subs]","qry_VIEW_Membership","[Year_Month] = '" & DMax("[Year_Month]","qry_VIEW_Membership","[PHID] = " & [PHID] & "") & "' AND [PHID] = " & [PHID] & "")

and the Access SQL is:

Code:
SELECT TOP 25 qry_VIEW_Membership.PHID, DSum("[Total_Subs]","qry_VIEW_Membership","[Year_Month] = '" & DMax("[Year_Month]","qry_VIEW_Membership","[PHID] = " & [PHID] & "") & "' AND [PHID] = " & [PHID] & "") AS Test
FROM qry_VIEW_Membership;

This will take two saved queries:

Save as MaxYearMonthByPHID
Code:
Select qVM.[PHID], Max(qVM.[Year_Month]) as MaxYearMonth  
FROM qry_View_Membership as qVM  
GROUP BY qVM.[PHID];

Save this SQL as whatever name you wish:
Code:
Select qVM.[PHID], SUM(qVM.[Total_Subs]) as SumOfTSubs 
FROM qry_VIEW_Membership as qVM INNER JOIN MaxYearMonthByPHID as MYM ON (qVM.[PHID] = MYM.[PHID]) and 
(qVM.[Year_Month) = MYM.[MaxYearMonth]) 
GROUP BY qVM.[PHID] 
ORDER BY qVM.[PHID];

Now just run the second query. Post back if you have any questions.

[COLOR=006633]Bob Scriver[/color]
MIState1.gif
[COLOR=white 006633]MSU Spartan[/color]

Thanks Bob!!! This really helped, and runs very fast. I modded the solution to fit my exact final needs. My final code is below in case anyone else needs help with something like this.

3 queries

Query 1: VIEW_Membership (pass-through query holds the summarized membership totals for all Year_Months for each PHID)
Code:
SELECT DISTINCT tbl_ClientSuffix_Count.PHID, tbl_ClientSuffix_Count.Year_Month, Sum(tbl_ClientSuffix_Count.Total_Subs) AS Total_Subs, Sum(tbl_ClientSuffix_Count.Total_Members) AS Total_Members
FROM tbl_ClientSuffix_Count
GROUP BY tbl_ClientSuffix_Count.PHID, tbl_ClientSuffix_Count.Year_Month;

Query 2: VIEW_MembershipMaxYearMonth (pass-through Query holds the max Year_Month for each PHID)
Code:
SELECT  tbl_ClientSuffix_Count.PHID, Max( tbl_ClientSuffix_Count.Year_Month) AS MaxYearMonth
FROM  tbl_ClientSuffix_Count
GROUP BY  tbl_ClientSuffix_Count.PHID;

Query 3: VIEW_MembershipMaxSubsMembers (combines the two pass-through queries to display the max membership for the max Year_Month for each PHID)
Code:
SELECT VIEW_Membership.PHID, VIEW_Membership.Year_Month, Sum(VIEW_Membership.Total_Subs) AS Total_Subs, Sum(VIEW_Membership.Total_Members) AS fTotal_Members
FROM VIEW_Membership INNER JOIN VIEW_MembershipMaxYearMonth ON (VIEW_Membership.Year_Month = VIEW_MembershipMaxYearMonth.MaxYearMonth) AND (VIEW_Membership.PHID = VIEW_MembershipMaxYearMonth.PHID)
GROUP BY VIEW_Membership.PHID, VIEW_Membership.Year_Month;

~Joel

Joel: Glad to be of assistance in this matter. Thanks for the Star. It is appreciated.

MIState1.gif

I have a Db that tracks users logins. I have the time field set to 24 hours. I need to print a report from a query of the current day and the latest(highest) time a user logged in, FOR EACH USER.

I found this on the internet and attempted to use it in my query and in my report. Neither worked. I still a syntax or too complex error.

dtDate is actually the 24 hour time field.

DMax("dtDate","qrySingleDateFindAll","[UID1LastName]= '" & [qrySingleDateFindAll].[UID1LastName] & "''")

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
The Animal

Well my first question is you said:

I need to print a report from a query of the current day and the latest(highest) time a user logged in, FOR EACH USER.

Current date: Is you query selecting by the current date?
Each User: Just the last name is not sufficient to guarantee that you are looking at the correct records.

Please post your entire SQL for your query so that I may see what you are selecting and trying to report on. We may want to use an additional query to select by todays date, group by a userID, and select the Max Date. Then we would join that query results to your query through common fields and identifiers.

Post back with your info.

MIState1.gif

Thanks for trying to help. Found what I needed. I don't have SQL problem. What I needed to do was turn on Totals in the query. What I was looking for was the last TIME (highest in 24 hour). Using the Totals MAX function I got just what I was after the last Time they logged in.

Thanks for trying, apprciate the time you spent.

The Animal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back