Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DST Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbaughma

IS-IT--Management
Staff member
Nov 21, 2003
US
We still have computers that have the wrong time. :-(

o We have a AD/Domain Controller (Windows 2003), all updates done and the time is correct on it.
o Several XP pro machines, all on Active Directory, getting their time from the AD Controller
o All service packs and so forth have been done on the XP machines; we're using WSUS to push those out

... but the clocks are still wrong.

Even if I go into the BIOS, and set the clock there, and boot windows, it's fine for a few minutes, then jumps back an hour.

Any thoughts?

Just my 2¢
-There once was a man from Peru
Who wanted to write a Haiku
but...

--Greg

Hi, Greg.

I am sure you've already tried this, but are the regional settings correct on the machines in question?

Li.

yeah.... :S It's really got me stumped.

<grumbling>why couldn't they just leave it alone... grrr.... or get rid of DST all together....</grumbling>

Just my 2¢
but...

--Greg

Nightmare. So if the time is correct on the NTP server, are the clients definitely getting their time from that server?

I think the command under XP is "w32tm /config", or something along those lines. It's been a while.

I would suggest getting the TZEdit program from Microsoft, and running it on one of the computers - and see if the DST settings did change.

From there you should be able to figure out if the patch did update the time zone information.

There was an MS patch release a while ago. Can't think of the number, but search these threads and you'll find it.
It may be related to this.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

You can make sure "Automatically adjust clock for Daylight saving changes" is unchecked then it won't mess around with the time its getting from the server.

I don't get this.

I got TZEdit.... loaded it up, looked at the time zone and dates... everything fine.

I changed the GPO so that users were allowed to change the time.

I manually set the time in both the BIOS and in windows.

THE STUPID TIME STILL JUMPS FORWARD AN HOUR!!!!

Every service pack has been installed. The time zone is correct, the AD Domain Controller is correct, and I've tried having XP get the time using w32time from both the AD controller, *and* externally.

The stupid computers are posessed.

Just my 2¢
but...

--Greg

My suggestion should keep the clocks from jumping. Not sure if you saw it since you posted about the same time as i did. But check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back