Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DST 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

minxca

Technical User
Apr 25, 2003
CA
Hi,

Anybody has solution for exchange 2000 with DST? We are planning to ugprade to 2007 & vista next year but I guess we have to make it this summer.

The smart money at the moment is on applying the program known as "3 week vacation" at exactly the right time :)

Virtual Machine for Microsoft Exchange Calendar Update Tool is now available

Brief Description
The Exchange Calendar Update Tool enables administrators to update, using the Time Zone Data Update Tool for Microsoft® Office Outlook®, multiple user mailboxes, thereby avoiding the challenges involved with broadly deploying the Outlook Time Zone Data Update Tool to all end-users

Great...I have all Outlook 2000 clients...

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.
The poster formerly known as lander215

For those of us with Windows 2000, Exchange 2000, Office/outlook 2000 - here is what I have found after the tedious search of MS KB articles.
1) Apply the DST updates on the servers (OS) (TZedit)
2) Apply the DST updates on the clients (TZedit)
3) Exchange DST = Hotfix available for the "low, bargain basement rate" of $4000 from Microsoft Tech support.
4) While you are waiting for that - build a computer that can apply the Exchange DST TOOL. It has to have:
a) XP or 2003
b) Outlook 2003
c) Outlook Time Zone Data Tool installed
d) .Net Framework 2.0
e) In the registry make sure PickLogonProfile (if it exists) is set to 0
Now you can load and run the Exchange TOOL. Make sure to run it on the RESOURCES (conference rooms etc) first.

Well I can handle the DST updates using TZedit on the servers and clients but we can't afford the $4000 for the Exchange DST hotfix so I guess we will run into problems.

Mandy
MCP/A+/Network+

So, from all I'm reading, if I apply all of the patches except the $4k Exchange 2000 patch, I'll just have problems with OWA timestamps and appointments? This shouldn't be a problem for us at all.

I read somewhere that someone was worried that the Information Stores wouldn't mount if the patch wasn't applied. Has anyone heard this?

I can't fathom why the IS wouldn't mount.

Worst case if you do nothing to Exchange/Outlook is that appointments will be off for three weeks by one hour. The cheapest solution is to advise all of your users to put in the appointment itself the actual time of the meeting or adjust all meetings for those three weeks back by one hour.

It escapes me why MS would want to charge it's user base $4k for a fix that costs them nothing.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

I am in the same boat as coldnature where if it is true that only OWA would have problems if we don't apply the patch then it won't be a problem for us as we don't use OWA. I am still in the process of updating the client's operating systems using the TZedit and then I also need to apply the Outlook time zone tool on those that use Outlook and hopefully I will have that done in the next week and if the only problems we run into is a few appointments are off by an hour then that is the least of my worries but I just wanted to try to minimize the problem for our users.

Mandy
MCP/A+/Network+

I wouldn't go so far as to say it cost them nothing. From what I understand it is more complex than the tweak to Windows. That said, I'm sure Microsoft is profiting substantially from this as there are plenty of E2K servers running out there.

Should we use "exchange tool" for BES too?

Like many other people I am a bit confused about Exchange 2000 and DST. I called Microsoft and of course they told me the patch for Exchange 2000 is $4000. I believe I fully understand the issue and what the fixes are.

Can somebody please confirm this is correct:

- We already fixed our Windows 2000 server running Exchange 2000 using TZedit..
- All of our XP clients are fixed using the patch Microsoft released.
- From what I can tell the Patch that Microsoft Released for Exchange 2003 and are selling for Exchange 2000 is solely to fix CDO (Collaboration Data Objects) based programs such as Outlook web access since these use Internal time zone tables from Exchange. Regular Outlook uses the OS times.
- The Exchange/Outlook Calendar update tool was made to correct any appointments/meetings that were scheduled prior to updating the clients and the Windows OS on the Exchange server. Any appointments/meetings scheduled after the the client and server OS were patched will be correct if scheduled through Outlook and not OWA.

So in closing if you are running Exchange 2000 and you are not using Outlook Web Access or any other CDO based application you really do not need to pay for the $4000 patch. You need to fix the Exchange server OS using TZedit and patch the client. Then you need to run the Exchange Calendar Update Tool. All meetings scheduled through Outlook should be fine after that.

Can somebody please let me know if this is correct?

Thanks!

Eric

As I have read there seems to be conflicting order of how to patch and run the Calendar Update tool over that past few days.
In MS article 931667 (version 8) the order is:
-Apply updates to Servers
-Apply updates to Workstations
-Apply the Exchange DST update
-Run the Exchange Calendar update tool

I can understand the exchange patch before the update tool, but for the workstations there are some concerns that if the workstation is patched, then a user creates a new appointment within the Extended DST period before you run the Update tool against that mailbox the appoinment will not have been time stamped and the update tool does not know whether it should shift them or not.

Has anyone seen any topics related to this?

In my experience, a half dozen of our power-user secretaries received the patch. they started updating calendars for executive staff. Started noticing the issue with the extended DST period.

Within days, I ran all the updates for OS, distributed workstations, exchange and also the calendar update tool.

It automatically solved the issues. Part of the tool is designed to find exactly what you're describing.

It worked for me. Your mileage may vary.

However, again, I was Exchange 2003 SP1 and Windows XP/Windows 2000 workstations. No Exchange 2000 in my environment.

Does anyone have Outlook loaded onto Windows 2000 Terminal Server? Anyone know how to handle this in that environment?

Thanks

Hey all,

I ran the Outlook update and now I'm trying to run MsExTmz.exe. I thought that there was a way to get this to run for all mailboxes but I'm not able to see how this is done. MS lists a caveat for "Run the Exchange tool against all affected users and servers" but I can't see any instructions on that page on how to do it all in one fell swoop. Does anyone know how to do this using the "Shotgun Approach" so my users don't screw up their accounts?

Thanks,

Joe

Seriously, what would happen if we just turned OFF the servers & workstations on Saturday night, power back up on Sunday AM and MANUALLY change the time? (Would have to do again in April to "prevent" time change.)

We run W2K SBS (Exchange built in), but don't use OWA features. The calendars we use are public folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back