Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSSU won't do multiple copies? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

msleeper

MIS
Jan 29, 2003
US
This is for netbackup 6 mp4, runnig on redhat linux 4.

I've set up a Disk Staging Storage Unit that writes to a local RAID and it works great. However, when I set up the staging schedule to write this data to tape the option to make multiple copies is grayed out. I would like to make two copies at the same time instead of duplicating a single tape at a later date.
I've been playing around with Vault but it's way more than I need both in terms of complication and cost.

On a similar note, I've notice the same problem with synthetic backups. If I set up a synthetic full schedule, the multiple copies box is grayed out.

Am I missing something or is there a package I need to buy (other than vault)?

Thanks for your time,
Mark

Yo, you probably have Host Properties of your master > Global Settings 'maximum copies' set at default of 2.

Run this to check the Maximum backup copies:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpconfig -U

Run this to change it:

bpconfig -max_copies 10

...or whatever # you want up to 10.

Then run this about a dozen times to make it take effect:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bprdreq -rereadconfig
...or just restart bprd.

Later!

Worked like a charm, I would have never guessed that was the problem!
Thanks Qdog!

Any thoughts on why synthetic backups won't allow multiple copies?

Per page 160 of the NBU System Administrator's Guide:

"The option to create multiple copies is not allowed for synthetic backups."

...bummer.

You could duplicate that synthetic later. Or you could use a bpend_notify specific to the policy and synthetic schedule name that kicks off a duplication command:

bpduplicate -dstunit <destination_storageunit> -dp <destination_volumepool> -rl <retention_level#> -fail_on_error 0 -set_primary 0 -primary -number_copies 1 -L <path_to_logfile> -Bidfile <path_to_bidfile> -M <master_server>

Here's what I did:

- added following lines to the master server's /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/backup_exit_notify script before the 'echo' statements:

#######start custom edits###########
if [ "$2" = "laptopTest" ]

then

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpduplicate -dstunit DSU_vault -dp NetBackup -client laptop -policy laptopTest -sl FullNoSched -hoursago 2 -rl 3 -fail_on_error 0 -set_primary 0 -primary -number_copies 1 -L /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/dup.log

fi
########end custom edits############

The backup_exit_notify script is called by the bpsched process on the master upon the exit of any backup job. The first line added says if the policy name of the backup is 'laptopTest', then run a duplicate. The bpduplicate command specifies to make a copy of any images written in the last 2 hours for client 'laptop' in policy 'laptopTest' and schedule 'FullNoSched'.

Good luck!

Thanks again Qdog!
I'm always amazed at the amount of help and knowledge on this forum. Hopefully someday I can give back as much as I take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back