Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSS 4.2 problem w/ gigabit turnkey solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgercken

MIS
Feb 13, 2002
US
I'm running DSS/RMON 4.2 on a P2 box w/ the old 2 port SX gigabit interface. I have it configured to pass through with a 3524 (spanning vlan 1) on channel A and a Linux box w/ Snort on channel B.

Just upgraded from 4.1 to fix problem with giants being interpreted as jabbers. Now I have an even stranger problem.

Snort can see the traffic, so the physical setup is working. The network graph in the console indicates the sniffer also sees the traffic but the gages never move from zero. The gauge detail shows reasonable totals but seems to be calling most everything a 519-2047 jumbo and no errors. When I select the show average rate radio button, however, only errors are indicated.

A capture produces no results with the capture pannel indicating incoming packets on channel A but all are rejected.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've tried just about everything I can think of. Maybe this card isn't supported in this version??

Thanx,
Jeff ----------------------------------------
Wassabi Pop Tarts! Write Kellogs today!

Hi Jeff,
i had a problem similar to yours (with a NAI 4.7),
after setting up most of the display, the counters are
running, but none of the expected results.
Was a layer 8 problem, sitting in front of the notebook.
Switching off the filter resolves my problem.

I had tried to set up a filter but i´d done wrong.

Andi

Not a "problem exists between chair and computer". I'm using the default (cleared it twice) filter on everything (monitor, display & capture). I can't seem to find the problem anywhere.

-Jeff ----------------------------------------
Wasabi Pop Tarts! Write Kellogs today!

There is a patched version of Distributed 4.2 that may correct your issue. It is on NAI's site as 4.2 Patch 3. You need to reinstall DS like you are upgrading. This may help.

I have seen the non-registering dashboard before and have cured it by deleting and re-loading the adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back