Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSRepair found some errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBruyet

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2001
US
Hey all,

We've been having some problems (file corruption) on our Novell server (that I inherited) and when I ran DSRepair I saw that there were some errors. Here's what I saw afer it ran:

Repairing volume object for volume MAC
[this is where my users keep documents and files]
Directory services volume object ID: FFFFFFFF
ERROR: The volume has never been installed
ERROR: Could not find or add a Directory Sevices volume object, error -610
Trustees are not checked on this volume

Then I went to the log file to see if there was anything more recorded and I found these two lines:

New volume object DN: CN=Link_server_MAC.O=Link_org.T=Link_tree
Contacted a replica on server: CN=Link_server.o=Link_org

So are my sporadic file errors going to go away now? Is there another utility I can run? I ran VRepair but it didn't find any problems.

Thanks for ANY help,

Joe Brouillette

No I didn't. So I should run it a couple times more?

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

After you get a clean DSREPAIR, preferably not using the unattended repair option, look to see if the volume is visible in ConslowOne or NWAdmin. If it's not there, you'll have to bring it back into DS. Not a big deal to do from DSREPAIR.

perhaps a good option to run is vrepair.nlm?
Make sure the volumes are not mounted....

As Joe stated in his original post, vrepair did not help or resolve the problem. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

I've run DSREPAIR many times now, and every time it reports one error. I checked the log to see what the error was and here's the text of it:

Repairing volume object for volume MAC
Directory services volume object ID: FFFFFFFF
ERROR: The volume has never been installed
ERROR: Could not find or add a Directory Services volume object, error -610
Trustees are not checked on this volume

The error message says that "The volume has never been installed." BUT, why does it work? the MAC volume is where all of my users store their files. Any ideas???

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

Have you tried going into DSREPAIR / Advanced Options / then select Check volume objects and Trustees? After this is done, run another DSREPAIR and see if you get any errors -----------------------------------------------------

When I try to run the CHECK VOLUME OBJECTS AND TRUSTEES I get the following error: "Unable to find object. Error: -601" I have full admin rights. I checked on the Novell support knowledge base but I can't find anything there about this error message. Any additional ideas?

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

If nobody knows how to get around this are there any other user forums that you would recommend?

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

Is the volume definately in your NDS when you look at it via NetWare Administrator? If not, recreate it:

Object / Create / choose Volume

Volume name = SERVER_VOLUME
Host Server = SERVER
Physical Volume etc......

Let NDS sync for 1/2 hour then do a DSREPAIR again. -----------------------------------------------------

Yes, it's definitely there in NWAdmin. My MAC volume is where all my users store their files.

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

I had to have a support tech come in and do some work so I had him take a look at it. The problem was that I didn't have the right syntax for the Admin user. If I remember right it was .admin.something_org, and I was just using "admin." It works now, and the error was corrected by DSREPAIR.

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back