Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSRepair error

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 15, 2000
US
We have a remote Netware 5.1sp2a server connected over a T-1 WAN link. Recently the server locked up (due to a problem with BackupExec). After the server was back up, we noticed that ds.nlm did not load automatically (we rebooted the server again with the same results). We are able to load ds.nlm manually without issue. The problem is that we ran DSREPAIR, to make sure DS is healthy. We got only 1 error message as follows:
ERROR: Updating property "Transitive Vector" for replica number: 0x0002

In researching this error, I was only able to find a few TID's on Trasitive Vectors but nothing remotely close to this error. There was no error number associated with it. Everything appears to be healthy and running smoothly otherwise.
Anyone have any ideas what this error means and how to correct it?
Thanks,
Domenick Pellegrini
The Sembler Company
dpellegrini@sembler.com

Domenick Pellegrini
dpellegrini@yahoo.com

Is this server in its own tree, or part of another one? If it is a part of another one, then time syncronization may be an issue. When a server boots up as part of a tree, it must time synch before DS loads. I've found this to be true in my own tree of 14 servers.

If there is excess traffic on the link, time synch my not occur for some time- you can force the issue by unloading DS and reloading it.

I recently had one do the same thing as you had described- what I did was run a server health check on the entire tree from the root down. This basically consists of full unattended DSRepairs on each box.

That seemed to cure mine.

The server is running in it's own tree. From everyone that we have contacted on this, they seem to all be in agreement that it's a cosmetic error. There doesn't seem to be any technical issues and DS appears to be healthy. I guess the next time we take the server down for maintenance, we'll try running a full unattended DSRepair without DS loaded and see if the error clears.

Domenick Pellegrini
dpellegrini@yahoo.com

Hey Dom,

Shall I send some water over to you!!!!

send me an email when you can and I will send you my new contact info if I haven't already!!

Also, on your error, WHat I would recommend doing is that you bring up the server without DS loaded, and then run the repair on it once more using the -a switch. Select all the basic options including rebuild operational schema. Restart the server then run the repair once more.

If you have any more errors, let me know and I will help you work through them unless someone else provides you a solution..

And there is a good chance you are right, it probably is a cosmetic error, but this will at least give you a sanity check...

Mark C. Greenwood, CNE
m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com

CNE 4.11 and CNE 5 certified. BS Degree in MIS. Working in the industry for 8 years.

I work with NT servers, NDS for NT as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back