Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSN versus DSN-Less 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheykc

Programmer
Sep 28, 2001
US
Does anybody know the pros and cons of using a DSN versus a DSN-less connection, when working with ADO in Visual Basic?

A DSN-less connection is considered to be the preferred method because it is a faster and more efficient way to access the data source. If you use a DSN you must go through the additional ODBC layer in order to access the data store. If you use OLEDB then you are eliminating this layer. Since the connection absorbs a lot of resources, go with the faster method.

'For SQL Server
Dim objConn as ADODB.Connection
Form_Load()
Set objConn = New ADODB.Connection
objConn.Open "Provider = SQLOLEDB; Integrated Security = SSPI; Persist Security Info = False; Initial Catalog = databasename; Data Source = SQLServername"

'For Access
objConn.Open = "Provider = Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source = databasefullpath"

Do you know if
Code:
SQLOLEDB
will work with Sybase?

Shey

SQLOLEDB is specific to SQL Server. I'm sure there is an OLEDB provider for Sybase. To find out if you have a Sybase OLEDB, open a VB project and then Add a Data Environment from the Project Menu. Then right-click the connection and then select properties. All of the OLEDB providers will be listed.

Thanks for your help.

I have one more question though. I went to VB, added the Data Environment, etc---and I don't see an OLEDB for Sybase. However, I noticed the OLEDB for ODBC drivers. Is this the same thing as creating an ODBC connection? Will I still be going through the ODBC layer?

Shey

I am using "SQL Anywhere Studio 8"(Sybase) and the ODBC driver I used is "Adaptive Server Anywhere 8" and if you are using the connectionstring the provider would be "ASAProv".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back