Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBosc

Technical User
Dec 28, 2000
US
I have 2 remote sales offices that connect back to me through our Frame Relay network. Each site has a 56k circuit, I would like to replace those 56k circuits with a DSL solution. Can I join the DSL circuit into the frame relay network?

no dsl will not work as a frame relay . You can use VPN over dsl , maybe this would be a better solution. good Luck !!!

You can check-out with ISP because this type of provisoning can only be done at ISP end

I would argue the statement that DSL cannot run over Frame Relay. We provision Verizon DSL over a Frame Relay T1 using a BVI interface on a cisco router where the frame T is terminated. The Telco creates PVC's that point from the customers DSL to our Frame connection.

I would like to see how that is setup. How are the reproducing the dsl signal. The T1 is probably going through
a repeater or a dubler this will not work with DSL Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

I have a product that I can provide clients using DSL access to provide secure IP based WAN's. This is similar to Frame Relay (I can interconnect the two, but I need an additional access circuit) only that it has no PVC's since it is IP based routing. This is using DSL access (not the internet) to access an ATM cloud that then routes all traffic to the IP destination. This is VERY cost effective for the bandwidth. Please contact me via Jeff

There is no technology barrier to using a DSL link as a frame relay access line.

You just have to find a provider that offers the service.
Worldcom currently does. Here is a quote.

"Enterprise DSL to Frame Relay Service or ATM. Offers high-speed access to WorldCom Frame Relay Service and ATM services. An integrated access method, Enterprise DSL can support multiple virtual circuits for a given service as well as data and voice (available later this year) - all on a single DSL line."

Other providers seem to be focusing on DSL for Internet access. You will need to be lucky to find a nearby provider that can meet your needs.

Several DSL vendors see Frame Relay over DSL as an opportunity. Paradyne and Copper Mountain make frame-relay over DSL products.
There probably are several other vendors who also do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back