Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL with HUB 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi, i´ve got a question about DSL.
Is it possible to use a hub and routing the other computer over one server?
thanks

Babit,

It is possible to install dsl on a hub , now there is a few ways to achieve this .
First I need to know if this is a modem or a router ?

If it is a router then all you need is the ip used as a gateway on the LAN pc's .( running NAT ).

If it is a modem then hopefully it is a static ip .

A modem with a dynamic ip would need some sort of win poet programs ( ie win poet 2.0 ) .

Do not forget to add your DNS addresses on the pc's . Good Luck !!!

See the post at thread619-41784 for a more in-depth discussion of one way to do it

I am unable to find how to do this in detail. Here is my situation:
Version DSL
Dynamic IP with WinPOet 2.0 loaded
Netgear DS104 (4 port 10/100) Ethernet Hub
Laptop connected to Hub
Desktop connect to Hub OR DSL Modem

I have to move the cable from the modem to the Hub (or vice versa) depending what I want to do. How exactly can I configure my PC and Laptop to use the DSL modem via the Hib.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Nick

Do you have two ethernet cards on your desktop computer? That way you can just set one ethernet card with your external IP address (or DHCP) for your DSL modem, and set the other one for an internal IP address, such as 192.168.1.1, or 10.1.1.1

Then, you connect your internal ethernet card to your hub, and set your laptop with an IP address of 192.1.68.1.2 (or whatever you want in that class)

I'm assuming WinPOet is a windows proxying software, such as WinGate... if not, I reccomend Proksi (get it at Just set your software to share its internet connection to the 192.168.x.x class, and anyone connecting to that hub with those addresses can view the internet.

I am using this exact configuration (both Win98), but am having a major problem. My DSL-connected computer can ping itself (192.168.1.1) and my other computer(192.168.1.2), but my other computer can only ping itself. Any attempt to ping the DSL computer times out. However, the DSL computer only rarely lists the other computer in the Network Neighborhood, but the other computer always shows the DSL computer in it's Network Neighborhood.

I've tried other IP addresses (10.0.0.1-2), but get the same results. I've got a NetGear FE104, which only does 100BaseT, so I cannot connect the DSL modem directly to the hub. Eventually, I'll have a Linux box connected to the DSL modem, but I need to make sure this works first.

Any ideas on how to proceed? Do I have a faulty network card? This is driving me nuts!

First you have to narrow down the variables involved. First, never trust what you see in Network neighborhood. whe way MS browser services work can be a tricky thing to pin down. And if you you have NetBEUI running you may be resolving machine names that way. PING is strictly a TCP/IP utility and will definately establish Internet connectivity.
Now, when you ping "yourself" 198.168.1.2, you are only testing the protocol stack the same as pinging the loopback address 127.0.0.1, and this doesn't tell you if you are hitting much else.
What subnet masks are you using? Probably 255.255.255.0, make sure that the first 3 octets are the same on both machine, ie. 198.168.1.whatever.
When you ping the other machine, look at the hub and NIC(eth card) and see if the green lights blip with the PINGs.
If not, then you have
A. No lights on any device,(a problem with the pinging nic)
B. No lights on the hub, (bad connection, Xover cable?)
C. No lights on the recieving NIC(bad connection again)
Even if the cards are improperly configured they should blink with the broadcast of the packets.
If they all blink like they should, then you have a config problem probably having to do with the network addressing.
Go back and read your destructions very carefully.
Hope this helps,
Troy

Does your router handle DHCP? If so let it issue an IP addy instead of telling it what to use. This shouldn't make a difference, but it worked on my linksys.
As for browsing, do you have netbuie installed on both PC's as well as TCP/IP?

I just got my pacbell dsl connected and would like to know how can I go about getting this thing networked so that my wife and sister can also have access to this service simultaneously without having to purchase a separate modem for each room in the house.

I've heard of using a hub or a router. Tried the standard hub in the office but, of course, that didn't work. Too good to be true. :)

Any assistance in what to purchase, how to connect, etc.,
would be greatly appreciated!

Gecko

Geko- run down to your local Fryes (or whatever) and get a Linksys router. It has NAT to share the one IP address Pacbell gave you and 4 ports for the PCs to share it. Web interface and it's pretty painless to setup. Once it's done, use it and forget it :)

I use Pacbell and a Cisco but then I have access to quite a bit of networking equipment for my biz :)

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Got my Linksys 1-port router, BEFSR11 to work with my PacBell DSL modem. However, was recently advised that I should buy the Netgear RT311 instead.

Comments?

I also have a Netgear 8-port switch that am planning to user with this router to bring DSL to the other rooms in the house. As PacBell's DSL is a DHCP-base ISP, how do I go about configuring my Linksys router so that I can do this?

Thanks!

Gecko

Last question...I's also using Windows 2000 on my Thinkpad...is there a compatability issue with the Linksys router and Win2K?

Thanks again!

Gecko

I have just set up a 3com cable modem out to a netgear rt311 then to a en104 from there one line goes to a pc and one goes to a mac. I set the TCP/IP to get auto ip and dhcp respectively. And the two machines talk to each other through AppleTalk with pcmaclan running on the pc. This setup runs perfectly with out a glitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back