Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL versus Dial up

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
We currently have a Dial Up Internet connection.<br>
we are using Microsft Proxy server so everyone in the network can get on the internet.<br>
It works fine.it also costs just $9.95/month for 56K<br>
using a Motarola modem. We are going thru dial up networking on the server.<br>
Can anyone tell me why to use DSL costs $80.00 a month<br>
and why I can't just tell Proxy server to use the DSL modem instead of the Motarola? <br>
I was told I need to have Static IP to connect<br>
GTE charges an extra $59.00 to have a static IP versus a Dynamic IP.<br>
whats up with that.<br>
Can I configure a standalone PC with 2 NICs one for the network and one for the DSL modem which will allow users to get on the internet thru it. Which would save us $59.00 a month.<br>
<br>
DougP

DougP,<br>
<br>
You can use a DSL modem the same you are using the 56k modem. The are serveral reason behind getting a static IP. One would be recieving internet e-mail directly to your server post office. But if all your doing is internet access then getting a dynamic IP address should work fine. Keep in mind GTE is not the only game in town and I'm sure you could find a local ISP that might be willing give you a better deal on a static IP address and/or monthly service. My local ISP, for example, charges $45 dollars a month plus an extra $5 dollars a month for a static IP address. I have the lowest connect speed availible for DSL, 256k. I need to have a static IP for my network configuration, but your needs might be different.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps<br>
<br>
Tool

Hi DougP -<br>
<br>
I agree with Tool. You should really contact some other ISPs, CLECs and/or Long Distance carriers in your area for pricing. You may also want to research some other options for your network. Perhaps a DDS (BDDS) dedicated 56k line would do the trick for your network. Or, you could look at an ISDN (BRI) @ 128k dial-up. You could even try your local cable company - cable modem. In this day and age, you should be able to obtain quite a few quotes from different companies for the same service(s).<br>
<br>
Good luck ~<br>
<br>

Tool that's my other question if I can use a DSL modem in place of the 56K How do I find the DSL on my network and how do I configure Proxy server to use it instead of the 56K?<br>
I have a Intel E-mail station which works fine and it has a IP address assigned from my DHCP server of 10.0.0.51<br>
I can't find the IP of the DSL modem.<br>
even if I ping all.<br>
I don't know it's name to ping it either.<br>
<br>

DougP,<br>
<br>
Is your DSL modem internal or external? and do you have the DSL modem running. If so you can run the &quot;ipconfig /all ¦ more&quot; command. This should tell you your dynamic IP address. But depending on your DSL router the IP address may be assigned at the router itself. You may have to Hyper Terimal into your router if it is external to get the IP address. Once you have the IP you can build your LAT table on the Proxy server, excluding the DSL router IP address. Let me know if the DSL modem is internal or external. Proxy server will sense the active conection to the internet based on the IP address of the router.<br>
<br>
Tool

Its external. I guess its running it's on <br>
I did have it connected to the internet on a standalone PC with a NIC. The DSL gets an IP from GTE they are acting as it's DHCP server now because we have a residential single &quot;cheap&quot; account. I connected to it in IE-5.0 set up to automatically sense a connection in &quot;Tools, Internet Options , Connections TAB.<br>
<br>
I was able to use &quot;ipconfig /all and see the DHCP server and the DSL modems IP when it was connected to that PC.<br>
<br>
It's a Fujitsu with one RJ-45 to go to a HUB or NIC and one RJ-11 to go to the DSL phone jack and thats it, also power.<br>
The book that came with it say's &quot;DSL modem&quot; Not router.<br>
<br>
I'm going to try what you said above.<br>
I have two NIC's in the server I can use one for the DSL modem if need be.<br>
I can also use a NT workstation as a Internet machine if need be. I just want to get us all connected without spending an extra $50.00 a month.<br>
<br>
<br>

How do I Hyper Terminal to it?<br>
When I make a new conction in HyperTerminal it asks for a Connection type I have a Modem and Com1 or Com2.

DouP,<br>
<br>
Make sure that the NIC card for the DSL is setup under TCP/IP properties to recieve a dynamic IP address. NT can be difficult when electing to have one of it's NIC cards assigned an IP address, especially when you are running an internal DHCP and DNS server. This might be your problem?<br>
<br>
Tool

Because our server is a DHCP the option to get a dynamic IP is grayed out for both cards.<br>
so &quot;Specify an Ip Address&quot; contains the following for each<br>
The Network NIC is 10.0.0.2 (default for Small Bus Server)<br>
subnet 255.255.255.0<br>
default gateway =blank<br>
<br>
DSL NIC<br>
4.34.160.13<br>
subnet 255.255.248.0<br>
default gateway 4.34.160.1 (GTE DHCP server)<br>
<br>
this was the IP address I got above when connected to GTE briefly<br>
Now I don't have to use the DSL NIC I can plug it into the HUB will that help?<br>
<br>
I have full latitude I'm the &quot;System Administrator&quot;<br>
Also can the clients see the DSL modem without going through Proxy? I know that's not a good thing to do <br>

I called Microsoft on this one<br>
they said to upgrade to SBS 4.5<br>
among other things I have several issues related to SBS not set up correctly.<br>
So I'll do this Sat 1/8/00 <br>
Thanks for all your help on this.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back