Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cirvam

Programmer
Nov 23, 1999
US
I'm thinking about getting DSL and was wondering if I would be able to use it as a web/ftp server. Bell Atlantic says that they provide dynamic IPs but if the service is on then the IP is static right? Also would it be possible to set up a web/ftp server using one of those dynamic IP? I would also have a small network (3-4) of other computers using the connection. I know the web service would be slow. Does Bell Atlantic provide a good service, because currently its the only provider of DSL in my area. Would I be better off waiting until there is more choice? I have looked at a number of DSL providers and almost all say that you have to have a Pentium or higher running Win95/98/NT. Only one even mentions Linux, is it diffacult to set up DSL on a Linux box?<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
Erik

Two problems come to mind. First what &quot;flavour&quot; of DSL are you talking about? ADSL is asymetrical, hence the name. A rule of thumb is the speed towards the Internet is 30 percent of the speed to the customer. If you are browsing the Internet, this okay. However, this is not what you want for a server.<br>
<br>
HDSL has the same speed in both direction and is used by many smaller ISPs. However, in many areas this is only available to businesses at a higher price.<br>
<br>
The second problem is broadcasting your IP address. You won't be able to get a registered domain name for your IP address. ( It belongs to Bell Atlantic.) One possible way to get around this is to just put your IP address inplace of the domain name in any links you create. <p>Michael Regan<br><a href=mailto:mregan@bccs-ca.com>mregan@bccs-ca.com</a><br><a href= Cat Computer Systems</a><br>Black Cat Computer Systems build Linux servers and work<br>
stations for the small office. Our systems feature the AMD<br>
line of processors. They are an excellent balance of price,<br>
performance and reliability.<br>

One more problem....they would be giving you a &quot;not-quite-always-on&quot; DSL connection...the IP address would be static <i>only</i> when you are using the internet on that box.....after, say, 10 minutes of i-net non-activity it would cut off your connection & simply re-assign a diff. IP address in a quick re-logon whenever you tried to download another web page or whatever; definately <i>not</i> good if you're planning on hosting a server. <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

Although, I might add, IP Masquerading might come in useful if you do decide to try this; then you could do round-robin DNS behind your linux box and handle whatever load comes your way.

Done it been there. I told my server to keep the dynamic address and Since Bell South is egotistical to send a warning message to my Bellsouth.net email account I never used, I got on their IP abuse list.<br>
<br>
Now I am back to regular dial-up<br>
<br>
Ho humm............

My question is this: is it actually possible to use a dsl conncetion as a client not as a server? On my little dsl booklet, they only takl about windows and mac; can i install dsl on my linux? (btw, my provider is bell canada)..
I need help plz!E-mail me asap!

With a DSL provider that doesn't use that awful &quot;PPP-OE&quot; method (PPP Over Ethernet), its totally possible to serve a website. I use Telocity ( for my DSL, and although I have had many tech-support frustrations, et al... at least I get a *static* IP address. The Telocity DSL modem lets you connect to it with standard TCP/IP ethernet, so you are 'home free', as far as deciding which OS you want to use, or whether you want to share your connection with other local computers. I have also heard that a company called provides DSL with static IPs, and actually lets you lease additional IPs for onlly $5/month.

Telocity doesn't mind if you serve a website, as long as its not a full commercial site (whatever that means). If you can get a DNS server to provide a re-direct, and there are quite a few services that do that, then you can have a domain and hostname. I gave my home station a hostname on my company's domain, so it is essentially part of our corporate WAN. I am using FreeBSD to provide a firewall and share my ethernet connection with an internal network. I left some info somwhere in another thread a few weeks back about how I did it... have to dig it up again ;-)

Yes, consumer-level DSL usually gives a good downstream and a not-so-great upstream, but I still manage to serve out a website at 256kbps, which is right up there with fractional T-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back