Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL speed and "tracert" command

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notsavy

Technical User
Apr 16, 2007
US
I recently upgraded my DSL from 1.5 to 3Mbps with Verizon. At the IP address page I see the modem speed at 2.464 but when I run speed tests on my machines I usually get less than 2. I ran a tracrt to Verizon.com from my laptop which is running Vista and I got the following:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\xxx>tracert verizon.com

Tracing route to verizon.com [192.76.85.245]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 General failure.

Trace complete.

I did the same from my son's laptop which is also running Vista and is connected to the same network via the same wi-fi and got the following:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\xxx>tracert verizon.com

Tracing route to verizon.com [192.76.85.245]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 8 ms 2 ms 1 ms wgr614v6 [192.168.1.47]
2 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms dslrouter [192.168.1.1]
3 25 ms 26 ms 25 ms 10.32.137.1
4 24 ms 25 ms 25 ms P9-2.NYCMNY-LCR-03.verizon-gni.net [130.81.136.4
8]
5 28 ms 27 ms 27 ms so-3-0-0-0.NY325-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net [130.81
.29.200]
6 28 ms 28 ms 28 ms 0.so-0-0-0.XL3.NYC4.ALTER.NET [152.63.1.41]
7 100 ms 100 ms 100 ms 0.so-5-1-0.XT1.SAC1.ALTER.NET [152.63.49.9]
8 102 ms 101 ms 101 ms GigabitEthernet6-0-0.GW9.SAC1.ALTER.NET [152.63.
55.73]
9 103 ms 106 ms 106 ms verizon-gw.customer.alter.net [157.130.203.246]

10 101 ms 100 ms 105 ms 192.76.84.5
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

The questions I have are: what does this mean? Is that the root of the speed issue? What can I do to fix it?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

There could be any number of items that would affect the DSL traffic and download speeds. Traceroute is not used to determine speed from what I understand. I would use one of the "speed test" servers from the DSLREPORTS.COM website to get some idea of up/down speed, etc.

Traceroute, as its name implies, gives you a list of all the gateways and routers from a to z of the route used to get to the destination IP address. A better description is here:
In isolating your "speed" problem, you should start by verifying the integrity of your local network, i.e. from your computers to the Telco NIU box and everything in between. I have seen a defective or marginal patch cord impair service to the point that nothing gets through. Make sure your router has up-to-date firmware. Linksys is notorious for bugs. Depending on the model of router, they usually have some sort of logging function that can provide useful information about your network connection in regards to traffic, provided you understand what the info is, that is being reported. The DSL box may have something similar for statistics, too.

This would just be the beginning, there is of course Verizon. You should check your stuff first, then if all else fails go to them and see what they can provide you.

If you really want to understand all the elements of your service do some research and lots of reading. The information is on the Internet for the looking.

Hope this helps!

....JIM....

Thanks for the reply.
I figured out that the "general failure" was due to the settings in my anti virus software but I still get the "request timed out" on hops 11 to 30 after I changed them. I did all my speed tests on "speakeasy.net" and I had already checked the integrity of the network and the firmware on the router and the modem. I get the same speed results (less than 2) on my desktop if I bypass the router and connect it directly to the modem.
I have e-mailed Verizon with all the stats but didn't get a reply yet. In the meantime I'll continue to research and see if I come with anything.

The timeout responses you get on traceroute are Internet related and are not caused by, nor does it affect your local network. Different traceroute programs respond differently to these timeout messages. Essentially, they are like "no PING" non-responses or the end unit is in stealth mode. In that case the program just steps through as though you had 30 hops and quits.

....JIM....

but I still get the "request timed out" on hops 11 to 30 after I changed them"

Those routers have ICMP echo-replies blocked, that's all.

When you were at 1.5, what dl sppeds were you getting then?

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Thanks for the replies.
I managed to get some improvement by disconnecting a phone that was on the same jack as the modem and by replacing the cable from the modem to the jack with a better one. The modem now shows 2.88 although I still get 2.4/2.5 when I run different speed tests (not sure why or whether it can be improved). At 1.5 I was getting 1.2/1.3 so what I have now is definitely better.
I'm not sure what "ICMP echo-replies blocked" means and whether that affects the speed.
I still didn't get a response from Verizon though!! But I'll keep "researching".

The ICMP echo-replies being blocked will not affect dl speed. You are a bit far from the DSLAM (CO), so those speeds are normal for a condition like this. Crosstalk from having no filters on the phone lines will affect speed, so obtain one filter for every phone line in the house, especially the one that connects the adsl line.

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

For optimum DSL and phone service use one filter for all the phones and a separate pair for the DSL box. Keeping them separate is the best way to go...

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back