Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL SLOW - Can Ping URL & IP - HAVE TROUBLE BROWSING?

Status
Not open for further replies.

srossbach

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2000
US
I have a DSL line that was working perfectly for a while then all of a sudden I can not browse most sites and my DSL is running slower than dial-up through my browsers.

I am able to ping URLs and IPs with no packet loss.

I have spent hours upon hours on the phone with SBC (my ISP) and have gotten no where. The only thing they are suggesting now is two TECHNET Articles #2241344 and #274498 which I can not find.

This problem is occuring on my desktop and also on my laptop if I connect it to my DSL - yet my laptop works fine if I connect it to my DSL at work - so I have a hard time believing that it is a "browser problem" - but I could be wrong.

My desktop I have formatted and restored back to its original setup (Compaq) and still cannot clear up problem.

Anyone have any suggestions - or can connect me with the TECHNET articles listed above. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

srossbach@ameritech.net

Try using speed test. It should test your line speed, if it gives you a good speed test, then you know it's your configs somewhere.. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

as a totally uninformed guess, try to get a differnt DNS server from your ISP as a test, perhaps your current server is not ideal. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Just wondering, what's your RWIN/MTU on both computers? You might want to try a "Tweak Test" at DSL Reports.

It can tell you if your settings are ready for broadband, make sure to have your firewall off if you want it to do the ping test.

Just cause I like it, I will plug speedguide.net again. Check out the TCP/IP Analyzer on and it will let you know what type of registry settings you might need to tweak for your boxes. This is especially true with Windows 98/98 SE. If you have Win 9x on desktop and laptop that might be the problem.

Harley

srossbach,

To recap, your problem using your DSL connection, which had been working correctly, is:
1. Browser unable to browse to a number of sites although you can ping the sites by IP and name
2. Browser performance slow
3. This happens with both your laptop and desktop from home but does not happen on your laptop when on the DSL at work.

Need the following:
1. From a command/DOS prompt, type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes. Copy the results and post back here.
2. What OS on the desktop? laptop?
3. What is your connection to the DSL at home? Router, direct connect, etc.?
4. Are you running ZoneAlarm or any other personal firewall?
5. Are you running or have you ever loaded any of the tools that promise to enhance browsing performance?

The Old Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back