Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL Router and Web Cameras 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayneparadis

Technical User
Sep 29, 2001
CA
I have two computers and I have a D-Link DSL Router for them so that I can share the internet connection. (The main computer has WIndows XP and the 'older' computer has Windows 98.) Prior to installing and using the router, I was able to use my Logitech Webcamera and, using WIndows XP, talk to my uncle via the internet. Since installing the router, I cannot do this. So, am I right in guessing that using the router is the problem?? Is there anyway I can get around this or do I have to go switch it back when I want to use the camera? Please reply to jparadis@mts.net

Thanks.

Jayne Paradis
Winnipeg, Canada

You need to find out what ports the camera software needs to have opened. Check the logitech website.

Next on the xp computer, from a command prompt, type ipconfig /all. Note the ip address of your computer.

Once you know what port(s) need to be forwarded and the ip address to forward to, you go to your router administration page and forward the ports to your xp computer's ip address according to the instructions in the manual.

Ok, so I'm slow - where on the Logitech website can I find the IP address?

Thanks for your reply!!

Jayne

Thanks for all your help - I certainly appreciate it. Still can't find anything about firewalls etc at Logitech but that's probably just me.

I looked through my router book and there is nothing beyond how to install the router. Using the internet, I can get to what appears to be the settings for my computer. As well, when I go to cmd prompt and then ip config, the ip addresses all seem to be for the internet - is there a list that would lead me to the computer? There are two sections - Windows XP Address (with no numbers) and Ethernet address with some numbers - one for physical address and one for IP adress (and then subnet mask and default gateway).

Jayne

I was able to find the section on firewalls at the Logitech website. It doesn't seem to tell you though how to make the changes??

Jayne

The changes need to be made to your router. You should be able to access the router administration pages at You don't specify your model, so have a look here for the instructions to forward ports 80 & 8080 to your pc. You would forward these ports to the Ethernet adapter's ip address - should be something like 192.168.0.xxx The default gateway should be the ip address of the router (192.168.0.1).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back