Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL randomly fails at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlockley

Technical User
Nov 28, 2001
US
Before calling provider, I wanted to see if there were any thoughts on this situation:
(Annoyingly slow) SBC DSL initially via network would not work every other startup or so. Unplugging, replugging etc has random success or just appears to have success.

Removing Network Router and connecting straight to computer via SpeedStream Router has the same effect: Will start every few boots. NIC card connects (go light on), diagnostic lights on Speedstream all green (Power, Ethernet, DSL and Internet) except Activity.

I am thinking this is a software issue, but would like your opinions on other possibilities before I have to listen to how sorry someone far far away is that I am experiencing this problem.

sounds like your dsl and network router... the dsl router should be "bridged" (no internet light) and the network router should run a PPPoE connection... this will solve your prob.

P2E

PPOE yes, but bridged? Internet light goes on when there is activity. Restarting the computer seems to fix it.

Don't know where you're located, but here in U.K. I think I'm correct in saying we're predominantly PPPoA. Internet l.e.d. on many of the routers I've seen will be permanently ON, unless you set connection to "On Demand". I usually set 'em up for permanently ON, never disconnect.

What are your line stats showing for DS MARGIN and DS ATTN?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

yes bridge (aka bridged ethernet) the speedstream. if not, you have 2 routers connected to one another - which usually results in unpredicatable (aka intermittent) network behavior. never connect a router to router... P2E

General" info to bridge speedstream...

1. Determine the dsl router's default ip gateway address to access the modem GUI interface. See yellow sticker on the modem or run ipconfig. Note, make sure that TCP/IP in the local area connection settings is set for “Obtain an ip address automatically".

2. Enter the gateway address (192.168.x.x) in the address bar of your browser.

3. Enter router admininstrative password.

4. Click [Advance] button @ left on the same screen Request access code (which is on the yellow sticker)

5. Click on PPP Location and select Bridge Mode. SAVE your changes & restart the modem

6. Configure the connected network router to run the req'd DSL PPPoE (or PPPoA) protocol/session.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back