Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL problem - can't detect gateway 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtm111

Programmer
Jun 27, 2001
US
Windows 98, Telocity (Direct TV) DSL.

I verified that the gateway works, as my laptop, which I am now using, successfully connects via ethernet network card.

But my desktop cannot detect the gateway. I tried ethernet and USB connection, both failed.

The ethernet port on my desktop shows a green light. The cable is good because I am using it right now.

What should I check to diagnose the problem? Please give advice fit for a novice. I'm a great C++ programmer, and you can see I'm a good tek-tips member, answering many questions. But I don't know anything about TCP/IP and networking. NOTHING. I need step by step help, not general advice to check TCP/IP. I don't even know where to begin.

Can anyone give me a checklist of things to rule out before stripping the hard drive and reinstalling?

Any useful help will be enthusiastically rewarded with stars.

Oh yes, the desktop machine has been connected just fine for almost a year with no problem. The machine has lots of users so I can't even guess what changed.

jtm111,

Don't go stripping the drive and reinstalling. At least not yet!

Can you give a bit more detail about the configuration.
What is the make/model of the gateway?
What is the make/model of the ethernet NIC?
What do you mean by "detect the gateway"?

Try these steps from a command prompt/DOS window [all without the quotes]:
- "ping localhost" and note the results
- "ping 127.0.0.1" and note the results
- "ping x.x.x.x" where x.x.x.x is the address of the gateweay and note the results
- "ipconfig /all" and note the results
**** NOTE - Since you are Win98, you may not have IPCONFIG installed. It should be but if not, do not be concerned. Use the following instead
- "winipcfg /all /Batch ipcon.txt" and note the results in ipcon.txt

Post the results of all the steps back here.

Good luck.
The Old Man

Hey thanks oldman - here is the result:

/* ping localhost */

Pinging robin [127.0.0.1] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

/* ping 127.0.0.1 */

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms

Pinging 10.5.1.2 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

/* local gateway */
Ping statistics for 10.5.1.2:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

&quot;default gateway&quot;
Pinging 65.186.82.118 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 65.186.82.118: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
Reply from 65.186.82.118: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 65.186.82.118:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 1ms

/* ipconfig /all */
Windows 98 IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . : ROBIN
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : 216.227.0.68
Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast NetBIOS
Scope ID. . . . . . : IP Routing
Enabled. . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No
0 Ethernet adapter :
Description . . . . . . . . : PPP Adapter.
Physical Address. . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-00-00 DHCP
Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 1
Ethernet adapter :
Description . . . . . . . . : Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-A0-24-D7-2D-85 DHCP
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 10.6.1.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . : 10.6.1.2
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 10.6.1.2
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 08 19 02 5:49:19 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 2
Ethernet adapter :
Description . . . . . . . . : DIRECTV DSL(tm) Gateway (USB) Physical Address. . . . . . : E4-10-12-3C-30-00 DHCP
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 10.8.1.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.248
Default Gateway . . . . . . : 10.8.1.2
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 10.8.1.2
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 08 20 02 5:34:33 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 08 21 02 5:34:33 AM

jtm111,

While I absorb this information, can you give a bit more detail about the configuration.

What is the make/model of the gateway?
What is the make/model of the ethernet NIC?
What do you mean by &quot;detect the gateway&quot;?

The Old Man

jtm111,

You can ping your loopback so your NIC and IP stack are OK.

From the ipconfig, it appears you have a fast ethernet NIC in the machine and you also connected the gateway directly using USB. Both the NIC and the USB connection worked since you got an IP address. The NIC got an address on 8/19 of 10.6.1.3 pointing to the gateway at 10.6.1.2. The USB connection on 8/20 resulted in an address of 10.8.1.1 with a gateway address of 10.8.1.2. I'm assuming you were not able to browse or you would not be asking for help. What happened when you tried to browse the internet?

Try this:
- Connect the gateway the way you need it to be. Presumable that is by way of the NIC.
- Open a command prompt/DOS window and type [without quotes]
- &quot;ipconfig /release all&quot;
- &quot;ipconfig /renew all&quot;

Then try browsing and let me know what happens.

The Old Man

Here's what I mean &quot;detect the gateway&quot;. On 8/19 I was troubleshooting. The machine was connected via Ethernet Card so I decided to try the USB connection. To do this with Direct TV DSL, you have to run a setup program on the disk that came with the gateway they sent. I went through the setup process. At the end, it asks me to reboot. After rebooting, the setup program continues, says it's going to test the gateway connection. The operation timed-out with message &quot;cannot detect the gateway.&quot; The system tray icon for Direct TV DSL was red. All the status lights on the gateway unit are green. And as I said, I can get a good connection on a laptop computer with Ethernet card so the DSL connection is available.

Interesting that the log I posted above shows the USB connection originating on 8/20 because I did not do anything today. Did it spontaneously initialize the USB on reboot this morning?

I haven't tried the DSL connection yet today. I'm unfortunately away from the system, posting from work until around 6PM. I'll try your suggestion when I get off work and post results in about 5 hours.

Right now the DSL gateway is connected to my computer via Ethernet NIC card. I assume this is a valid connection since it seemed the USB setup was aborted.

Thank you again.

Just guessing here. It looks from the ipconfig that you've got a DirectTV DSL Gateway. That is basically a single connection device unless you've got the &quot;Connect & Protect&quot; option on your service. &quot;Connect & Protect&quot; allows you to use both the USB and RJ45 together for connections. Essentially all it does is give you multiple IP's which would be the case if you used a hub.

Since you have had it connected via NIC, I'm guessing that the process you went through to configure it as USB was unsuccessful. Maybe it needed to be reset or cleared before configuring to use another/additional interface. Since you can connect your laptop, apparently the RJ45 is still functional.

It just occurred to me that DirectTV could be blocking it also. Since you need the &quot;Connect & Protect&quot;, the problem could be that the USB only appears to be non-functional since DirectTV is not allowing it. If you've got multiple computers, you might want to consider using a router from Linksys, SMC or any of the many vendors to share the connection. It is extremely simple to use and very effective.

Hope that helps.
The Old Man

TheOldMan, I'd give you a dozen stars if I was able.

You solved the problem, and I am posting this note from my desktop.

The connection was reactivated after I issued ipconfig release_all and ipconfig renew_all.

You are right about Connect and Protect too, but I was accessing the connection one computer at a time. I understand you to suggest a router would allow me to assign IP addresses. I'll investigate.

THANK YOU, sir! Your help is sincerely appreciated.

jtm111,

Glad it worked out.

Take a look at There's lots of information, tutorials, reviews, etc. to get you started in looking at a router. A router will allow you to use all your computers to access the internet without having to pay extra for IP's or &quot;Connect & Protect&quot;. It will also provide the protection of a hardware firewall for your systems. Well worth the investment (< $70) these days.

Good luck.
The Old Man

Old Man I was just curious....looked like his NIC was pulling non routable IP addresses....any reason why that would be if he didn't configure them that way himself? *ducks and hides* &quot;don't shoot me i'm only the messenger!&quot;

dslqueen,

The gateway was serving up the IP addresses that way. I suspect he was troubleshooting and changed the addresses in the process. I'm not all that familiar with DirecTV but I suspect it is actually functioning in some ways as a router and providing non-routable IP's on the LAN side while using a routable address on the WAN side.

The Old Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back