Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dsl > router > 5 pc's..Could they all share one network printer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

outhere

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2001
CA
HI! and...
Seasons Greetings to all!!

I'm setting our new office. Got a DSL connection > LINKSYS Router. All the wiring has been done. If I didn't screw up any of my connections on those 8-conductor wall plates and modular connectors all should be should work well. All 4 PC's running win2000 and win98 should be able to share and connect to our ISP's DSL High speed connection.

Thing is, our small office only has 1 printer. So, would it be possible to also share this printer within this setup (HP OfficeJet G85, for those inquiring minds)?

If more info is required please let me know.

Thanks for all you comments, much appreciated!

Steve Josh Maxwell
Discover Computers
CTO/MIS
discover_computers@hotmail.com
DirectLine-514.595.6024

Sure. If it is a network printer you can give it an IP address, add it to one pc as a local printer on an IP address and share it. If it connects via LPT, just install it and share it. Should be easy.

Or you could just use windows and share it acrost the network
windows 98 you would
Right click on Network neighborhood
select properties
click on File and print sharing
enable both of them
it will need to restart after you click ok all the way out

Next you need to go to
My Computer
Printers
right click on your printer
select sharing
and share it
now all you need to do is install the printer on all the other computers but make sure you set them up as network printers

Im pritty sure you dont need to enable file and print sharing on the other computers but i am a bit rusty :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back