Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

dicktttt

Technical User
Dec 3, 2003
US
I have an actiontec modem/router from verizon.

Even with 2 of the filters supplied by verizon, I stillhave noise on the line.

If I shut the modem most of the noise goes away.

Would a different brand filter,(more efficient) be available?

Dick

I may be wrong, but I believe the filters are to protect the DSL from the phone noise, not to protect the phones from DSL.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Do not filter the modem- as jimbopalmer said, the filters are to keep the phone frequency from interfering with the dsl frequency, not the other way around. The filters should be on anything that is connected to that phone line including fax machines, dial-up modems, satellite receivers, answering machines, caller-ID boxes, and -if still on the same phone line- on the premise including the shop, barn, garage, basement, outhouse, etc, but NOT the dsl!

The test continues...

Thanks everyone.

But how do I get rid of the noise when I use the phone.

It must be comming from the modem or dsl as most of the noise goes away when I shut it.

Also this is the second actiontell and 3rd westell modem verizon has sent me. Verizon tested the line and says it is not their fault.

Dick

you have to filter every phone jack that you have a phone plugged into.

so all jacks should be filtered except the modem jack.

if after doing that you still hear the modem then there is a problem with the filters or the modem itself.

plshlpme

Exactly, a filter on every phone except the modem.

Tried 6 different filters even 3 in series.

this is forth modem 2x westell now 2nd actionteck.

Bad noise comes and goes but there is always a low hiss.

Thanks for your reply

Dick

You might try isolating the noise by unplugging your phones one at a time.

I have run across problems with cheap phones (Dollar General phones, especially) that would amplify the DSL hiss even behind filters and cause havoc with the rest of the system.

There could be different causes for this, but I would suggest you request your telco to install a splitter at your NID or Terminal if you have home-run wiring. This will isolate the wiring that the DSL Modem is on from the rest of the house. If there is a device tied to the same jack that the modem is on, then you will need to filter only that jack.

The filter is designed to block the high frequency hiss caused by the DSL circuit which operates between 125 mhz and 550 mhz. These filters also work great to filter radio noise from the telephone lines.

Nice comment Crowtalks, this is exactly why my ISP company decided this week to only do company installs- no more self-installs causing hours of tech calls, miles of driving AFTER the install and customer complaints. We now only do a filter at the protector with a separate line (where possible) to the dsl modem. So far fantastic results, as of Friday only 4 tech calls left unanswered from a dsl base of 10,000+ customers!

The test continues...

One word: SPLITTER. Filters are a last resort for me. Splitters put the DSL on its own pair, so the only way your problem would persist with a splitter would be if there's x-talk on the pairs. Besides, filters all over the place look awful. One splitter solves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back