Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mot98

MIS
Jan 25, 2002
CA
Hi All,

I have setup a home network with a DSL internet connection being shared through a Linksys router. I have configured the router for PPPoE and DHCP.

I am connecting 2 computers to the network, and both are getting assigned an IP address properly from the router.

However, I am losing the internet connection on the clients every 5 minutes...

Any thoughts on this?

mot98
[cheers]
"Is it friday yet?"

Nope...wired network. I think it is something in the Linksys config, but I can't seem to find anything that would be causing this.

I have also checked out their support page, but found nothing.

mot98
[cheers]
"Is it friday yet?"

A guess -- both your modem and the Linksys are on the same subnet.

Change the Linksys to use 10.10.0.x as its LAN subnet, or place the DSL modem in pure bridge mode.

This maybe a goofy point, but did you check your routers time-out delay? Linksys routers have a setting in them
that will logoff of your dsl connection after a pre-determined amount of inactivity.
That being the case, if it were to time out, the first
unlucky guy to acess the internet would see the longest delay while the router re-connects to your isp.
sometimes i've seen the browser return a 'Page not found' because the router didn't re-connect fast enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back