Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL Connection will not ping

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOKIDOG

Technical User
Apr 25, 2001
US
I am using Remote Desktop Control and trying to connect to my parents computer. No help with the help on the application at least nothing I recognise for this situation (some of the business networking solutions may apply but they are written in tech even though they pride themselves in being a simple-to-use application)

It worked perfectly when I was using the same internet connection via my Laptop. Also I can connect my laptop to my desktop. But it won't connect from my home over the internet to my parents desktop.

I am thinking it may be their DSL (router/modem?). I have no clue as to what to do to get it to let the connection through. I know from setting up wireless routers that you must configure some connections and open ports etc.

So - maybe I can just choose another port? How? Which one?

OR - Configure the box to open a port? How? It's motorola, and I can get the specs, but I need to know the correct terminolgy for what I want to do = let an outside computer connect to my parents so I can do updates and other tasks they can't quite figure out.

Oh, and I can't ping their computer either. How do I do this through DSL (or can I ping the router - and what is it's address - how do I find out it's address - is it the 'default gateway IP'?)

Thanks.

Hello,

If your parents computer is on dsl I would take a look in their network connections, there should be one called "Internet Connection" if you go to the properties of it, there is somewhere to setup port forwarding. I know whenever I come accross a computer on a DSL line I have to do this to let outside services in.

If you want the external address of the router, go to from your parents computer. If you want the internal address then yes, it's the "default gateway"

You can google for what port you need to forward, once you have the port you should be able to forward that port to your parent's internal (192.168.x.x) ip address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back