Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL connection+VPN for terminal services?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhowley58

Programmer
Jun 25, 2001
US
Hi,

We've finally got 1 Mb DSL available at our 'home' site(server 2000).

I want to connect no more than 3 VPN clients at any one time and then fire up terminal services to run applications on the server. Has anyone got a feel for the reponse times -Key press to screen response?

Thanks,

John

John,

Is DSL the Internet connect for the Server you're looking to run Terminal Services on? If it is, is the upload speed on the DSL line also 1 Mb? If it isn't, you might have issues. I've run terminal services for two users at a time on a 128K circuit and response times wern't too bad. I'm currently running three con-current sessions on a full T-1 and response times are excellent.

Good luck.

Thanks gacollier,

WE haven't actually got DSL installed yet. Sorry if I sound obtuse but what is a full T-1?

John

John,

A full T-1 is an always on 1.54 Mb (or 1540 Kb) upload and download connection to the Internet.

Good luck.

i have this running at our remote offices. These offices generally have 3-15 users. I have Cisco 806 Routers (and PIX fiewalls) as IPSec tunnel termination endpoints with a cisco 3000 VPN Concentrator at the headend (main off.) Responce times have never been an issue. Remote Desktop runs on all of the Remote Office PC's and the Terminal Servers are in Application Mode. The biggest challenge was getting the Network Printing Situation ironed out. If you have bought Term Serv licensing from MS, Make sure you connect the PC's to the Terminal Servers FIRST or you will be in for trouble later.

gacollier and gconnect,

Thanks for your reponses

John

I have a Linksys BEFVP41 and just upgraded my aDSL to:

1.5mb download
386kb upload

My three concurrent users all use cable modem at:

3.5mb download
250kb upload

With the VPN set up (courtesy of Sentinel SSH), the respective users can use Windows XP Pro Remote Desktop Connection to connect to their own computers.

The response time is great, there's a bit of lag (1/4 second at most) ONLY when it is drawing new windows, but it has memory, it caches everything, and it runs smoooooth. I'm a far way from when I wanted to throw my computers and myself out the window just two weeks ago thanks to the expert guidance on this forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back