Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL connection keeps "dropping"

Status
Not open for further replies.

IllegalOperation

Technical User
Jan 27, 2003
US
Hello all. I have a Cisco 827 ADSL router. Recently, we keep losing our connection out to the internet. It is completely random (like once a day or so), and so far I am only able to fix the problem by rebooting the router.

After looking at the logs and doing some debugging, Ive noticed that when the router is down - I get a continuous "LOM error".

I also get this message that intrigues me:

*Feb 1 17:08:16.287: ILMI(ATM0): Sending ilmiColdStart trap
*Feb 1 17:08:16.287: ILMI(ATM0): No ILMI VC found
*Feb 1 17:08:16.287: ILMI: Encapsulation error on o/g ILMI Pdu <ilmi_send_pkt>
(ATM0)
*Feb 1 17:08:16.291: ILMI: Unable to Send Pdu out <ilmi_send_trap>

Like I said, everything goes back to normal once my router comes back up from a reboot. This cant be a configuration error, as I havent touched the config since I installed it (which was like almost a year ago).

Anyone have experience with these Cisco errors? Let me know if more information is needed to troubleshoot. Appreciated

This:
*Feb 1 17:08:16.287: ILMI(ATM0): No ILMI VC found

Suggests that it is a CO (Central Office) issue. You have to ask, nicely, your ISP to investigate your lines.

I am on the North-East of the USA, and because of winter storm changes my lines have been routed several times to fix all sorts of phone and cable errors.

Just be nice and peristent with your ISP. One thing that can help is good documentation: see the BroadBandReports site to run a persistent tweak test of your line. With this sort of documentation they will not argue with you but just fix it:

hello mate i am in the uk and just like you i had dsl for 3yrs before i got the random diconnecting thing then it stopped and then it started again well i think i have got the bt engineers to fix it .i have an outside box with an extention on it and all it was was a connection was damp i noticed this as everytime my line went down it had been raining .bt re did the cables (took two mins) and all is well again
the thing was that although the connections looked dry they had damp in em so it might be worth you looking for a connection outside and perhaps trying a hairdryer on it and see waht happens but if this dont work ,,,well i do hope you get it sorted out
not the normal type of reply is it but hell it worked for me
good luck

Hi,
I'm from Portugal and i'm having exactly the same problem.
My ISP allready said that there is no problem with the line. They said that my router (cisco 836/ADSL) is bad.
Next week i'm going to have some news. I have another Cisco 836 and i'm going to replace them.
Then we will see from where the problem is comming from.
I never believe in the ISP.
Wait for some news.

Thanks guys. This problem has only occurred like once or twice since this post, but it is still a concern of mine. Ill keep everyone updated, and Im looking forward to hearing from eluis again...

Ok,
Here i am, with some news... not very good news.
I replaced the router like i said last post. I replaced with a new one and allready tested good router.
The cause of my problems it's really a problem with my router. Or firmware or phisicaly damage... I have to return it to Cisco.
I have that problem on every place i make the test. That router is really broken.
:-(

I'm having the exact same problem with a 1750 w/ ADSL WIC. IOS version "c1700-y7-mz.122-11.T6.bin"

ISP is SBC

1d20h: ILMI(ATM0): Sending ilmiColdStart trap
1d20h: ILMI(ATM0): No ILMI VC found
1d20h: ILMI: Encapsulation error on o/g ILMI Pdu <ilmi_send_pkt> (ATM0)
1d20h: ILMI: Unable to Send Pdu out <ilmi_send_trap>

So I dont think its the hardware or the IOS but the line connection itself. Being that I live in Houston where the humidity is always very high and the box outside where all the lines terminate is open I tend to agree with "kapper"

I have reset all my counters and will see if I can pick up on something else causing this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back