Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL connection cause pc to go haywire

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxEd

Technical User
Jul 3, 2002
US
Hi,

I am trying to help a friend fix their computer. The computer is fine before being connected to a Westell DSL modem (Verizon). Once it is connected windows 2000 totally goes crazy. The control panel splits in half and you can't save anything in IE or cut and paste anthing. The add/remove programs becomes emptied. Anyone had this happen? Sounds like a virus as far as I can tell at this point. However the computer has had a fresh reformat and it's still having the same problems. Actually it's had 2 or 3 times reformatted and continues to experience the same problems.

-Laughter works miracles.

The machine operates normally before you plug the ethernet cable in? The first place I'd check is the ethernet cable itself and the network card next. Although, I find it hard to believe that either would cause the problems you're describing.

how does the modem connect to the computer? is it ethernet, USB...?

good point - I automatically assume ethernet, but that's not neccessarily true anymore.

Maybe you need some specific software to get the modem to work right with the computer? I've seen strange things like that happen *what? this thing only recognizes the zip drive as a 90 mb drive? the hell? The software makes it the full 100? EH EH?!*

-----
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to sit there with a dumb look on your face.
I have fun. Usualy at my own expense, but I have fun regardless

Ok,

It was the stupid virus that hit everyone recently. thanks for all your responses. [peace]

But that Virus doesn't really damage a computer, and you had it before the 11th ?

I think it was. I don't recall.

It was the msblast virus. A lot of my other friends didn't even hear about it but those who work at a company where they have internet connection all got hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back