Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL and network

Status
Not open for further replies.

icon58

MIS
Mar 25, 2003
US
Hello:
I am running DSL and win98. When I setup the DSL it come up with "the following error has occurred while loading protocol number one error 38 the computer name you specified is already used on the network. It is the only machine on the network. The only machine in the house. Could it be that the DSL made it wide open and it is finding other machines???
Thanks Icon58

hey there,
please, go thru these sites.

And this may help -----> When Windows first opens, it says "The following error occurred while loading protocol number 0. Error 38: The computer you specified is already in use on the network." What should I do?

This is because your computer name is set up using a default name. Renaming your computer is the easiest way to correct this error. To do this, go to your Control Panel and double-click on the Network icon. Select the Identification tab near the top of the Network Properties box. Enter an unique name for your computer where it says Computer Name. Click on the OK button and restart your computer.
:)

I will try the above link but I changed the name three different times and same thing !!!!
Icon58

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back