Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL & VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

the400kid

Programmer
Dec 9, 2002
US
I've installed Cisco VPN Client (3.6) and am able to connect to the host with no problems via my DSL.

The only problem is the VPN takes over my internet connection so I am no longer able to retrieve e-mail nor use my browser. Mind you I don't have internet access via my VPN connection.

I know when I setup a Microsoft VPN connection using DUN (Win XP pro) I can specify whether I want the VPN connection to default as the Gateway but I don't see anything similar with Cisco.

Am I missing it or does it not exist?

the400kid,
I'm wondering if you ever found the answer to this problem. I am running into the exact same thing. Any help would be great.

Trivial

Is the VPN host (peer) allowing split tunneling? If not all traffic will traverse the VPN tunnel, even your browser traffic.

What you describe is the default and intended behavior of the VPN client. This is to ensure that your local machine is not hacked and then allows a tunnel into your corporate network. Microsoft had a big problem with this a while back and a pile of their source got out.

The Cisco concentrator has settings to disable this, but it is generally a bad idea.

Chris.

thanks for the responses and advice guys, we did finally figure it out and you are correct Chris. thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back