Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSL & Dial-UP on Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bilebalar

IS-IT--Management
Mar 25, 2002
US
Hi.

I have an user who uses a laptop at home and on travel.
He uses DSL connection at home and dialup while on travel. He said everytime when he comes back for travel, plug the network cable back into the laptop, he can't get his DSL connection. What can he do to get around this?

Thanks!

What brand and model of laptop is it?
Some of our Toshiba laptops had the same problem for a while until we updated the BIOS.

It's a dell latitude c640. it's brand new, so i would think the bios is already up to date..

If it's a brand new computer, did you contact Dell?

Besides contacting Dell, find out if he's making any changes to any settings when he uses the Dial-Up connection (TCP/IP settings, LAN settings, etc). He's probably making a change to begin with in order for the Dial-Up connection to work.

Also, it would help to know the exact version of Windows and Dial-Up ISP. ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

hello rytl,

I have this same set up on my Laptop. I have two connections. One for my Dialup ISP and one for DSL. Go into Network and Dial-up Connections. Click on Make New Connection and configure it for Dialup connection. You get an Icon Dialup Connection. You should already have a DSL Connection icon. So now you have two connections configured. When you want to disconnect from DSL right click on DSL connection and click on Disable then unplug your NIC cable. When you are away plug in a phone cable. Right click your Dialup ISP connection icon and click inable. Now when you are finished make sure you Disable Diailup ISP and unplug the phone cable.When you come home plug in you NIC cable first then go to your DSL Icon in Network and Dial-up Connections and Enable it.

This works for me.

Good Luck

spool

y dont he or just diable the DSL connection ang make a new one

I work for a ISP and have to test 4 diffrent dialups.
PPPoe and PPPoa ADSL's from my laptop.
I fould what works for me is to set IE conn. to never dial.
Then make shortcuts to the diffrent dialups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back