Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dsiplaying last /new record first in Contineous Sub Form 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

khwaja

Technical User
Aug 27, 2001
AU
I searched for help but could find only one post which did not lead to any answers I searched for help but could find only one post which did not resolve much. thread702-529440

I have a form sub form position where sub form is continuos form. Normally, user fills the data chronologically and over the time, the new data row sits at the very bottom until you scroll up. I wonder if there is any way to show records in descending order so that these are sorted by date (latest being on top) and the new record appears first.

Cheers

AK

Note: Using Access 97 - still.

In the underlying recordsource for your subform sort your records by your Last Update field or your last touched field. Alternately, in the order by property for your subform type in the date field that you would like to have sorted by (i.e. Last Update) and then DESC. For example, "LastUpdate DESC"

Best regards,
SATHandle

Don't beat your head against the wall unless you know how to plaster.

Thanks, but this does not bring up the new record row, that is, as the top most row ready to be entered data. Any trick to do that?

Cheers

AK

In Form_Load for the subform, DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec

Thanks a lot. I think I was not very clear in my description. This is a classic form - sub form siuation where a main rcord is linked to a number of records within the contineous form (the one that looks like a spreadsheet). Even after following what you have suggested, the new record row appears at the bottom of the sub form. I want to be able to show the sub form rows in descending order and the new data entry row appearing as the first row. So when user moves to a record he sees the first blank row followed by filled rows in descending chronological order. This is something I am unable to achieve. Hope you can help further...

Cheers

AK

I'm out of 'viable' ideas.
You may try a blank record for each customer that becomes the first record in the group??? This isn't very elegant, but doable - Like I said, I'm out of 'viable' ideas.

:)

Thanks anyway for your help.

Cheers

AK

Hi, I have the idea that a Query may help you. You may construct it as a base for the subform. And of course, in the query may sort anything as you want.
Leonardo

Thanks. I tried the sort option in a query but it helps only to the point where it shows me the correct order of rows but does not bring up the new record row on top or reverse the order in which records are sorted so that I have a new row on the top followed by records in reverse chronological order. Hopefully you or someone else might help.

Cheers

AK

Try an unorthodox way I did a lot and got great results: Put the new record in a subform alone (do a form with it) and put it into the form over the other subform. You probably will need to set transparent back and border and a minimun size to avoid the subform cover the other. With patience you can move bit by bit (or calculate) till all data can be seen as it was only one form.
Leonardo

Thanks for the tip. Just to be clear, I took following steps:

Created a new form based on the same record source as my sub form. Add one field (may be PK) and set the form proprty to add. I am assuming it is not a contineous form.

Drop this new form into the exiting main/sub form and add master child linkages. Do not make it visible yet to experiment.

I can see both sub forms and when I opened I could only see the new row appearing at the top but subsequent screens did not have the same effect.

Could you please clarify in some detail how did you achieve what I am after?

Cheers

AK

As english is not my main language I miss some understanding and is hard to see or explain something. If you send me a brief of the database with the problem, I'll try to implement this solution for you easily than explain it.
leonardocarter@setarnet.aw

Thanks, I have emailed a copy of DB.

Cheers

AK

Thank you for your all help. It is close what I needed.

Cheers

AK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back