Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DSA vs ASA? What the difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmmaaa

MIS
Oct 28, 2002
US
I have DSA on my PC and have been happy with it. I have access to ASA, is it worth upgrading to? Or is it more hassle than it is worth. What does ASA have that DSA doesn't?

Thanks,
James

There are several enhanced features with ASA, but make sure you get the 1.12.02 or later. The older versions crashed A LOT!

Well, I have version 1.11.8 and it crashes on Windows XP something terrible!

I cannot seem to get a copy of 1.12 unless I purchase it from Avaya.

Any ideas or suggestions for upgrading at zero cost?

Well I have version 1.12.02 running windows XP and it still crashes a LOT as well. Pretty hard to get work done when the software supplied works so poorly. I can't remember dsa ever crashing on me. Just letting ya know.

G3si Guy

Well that sucks. :( I called Avaya and they said they wouldn't support anything below 1.12 on WinXP - that only 1.12 was certified to work on xp.

Bad news!!! Since I administer about 25 switches and 25 Intuity's.

Sheesh!

Is there any chance you can down grade? I use 1.9.06 and it works without any problems on Windows XP pro.

Barry

Well I could try but I doubt we have it laying around anymore haha. So you access both switches and intuity's and it doesnt GPF and close on you?

only one really wiz bang GEE I GOTTA REALLY HAVE THAT FEATURE, feature i've found. ASA 1.10 with patch (and i assume later releases) have a feature that when you use the "auto/schedule time change" it by-passes the BB messages. on the older releases of DSA\ASA if you set the program up to change times on 30 switches it would always get hung on the first one because of the BB messages.

Other than that, it came with a disconnect all button, disconnect 1 button, and a swap station feature (kinda handy) other than that thats all i can think of on 1.10. There is a feature to have the switch names load from a server so you dont have to program all that info in every program, but im not sure if that was on the earlier releases.

RTMCKEE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back