Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DS30 ports - do they relate to the information on the circuit board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

t3rm3y

Technical User
May 18, 2017
GB
We have a site that has had a couple of DS30s die, first was replaced and within a couple moths the replacement had died.
When opened up we can see a number of components have burned out, im not trained in electronics so couldn't say what they are, there are labels though near them.
there are F1 - F30 which would possibly indicate that they relate to the ports, and f6 and f12 are blown.
But then there are other components with D numbers - 11 and 12 look badly burned. And then there are l numbers that are i nthe hundred i.e. 234, 235 etc..
Trying to determine what caused the damage so it doesn't happen to the next replacement

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2783da3b-5919-4fb8-b5d5-398e1972fd43&file=ds30_damage_2.jpg
ds30_damage_1_fxathn.jpg

Check your UPS. Is it in need of replacement? Is it only plugged directly into a power strip? Is your server stack properly grounded? Any power surges or outages to the building?

Generally, this is only seen from an electrical stand point. Are the phones plugged in 4400 series? They draw substantially more power than 1400, 5400 and 9500 series telephones.

the handsets are 1408 and maybe some older 5410 or 5402 handsets.
the UPS has 2 x phone 30 modules which are running fine, and the main ipo500 v2. there was no report of a power cut.
How would someone check a ups to know if it needs replacing?

Was your replacement new or Refurbished? What are the four leading digits on the serial number?

Are any of these handsets in a different building?

That really looks like something put a voltage back on the port...

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

Those components are Transistors/Diodes that are burnt on the board, Up where it is burned,L36 is a dual coil that opens up when something is connected to that port that is not supposed to be there. It opens that coil, if it gets passed the coil, will burn up the Transformer associated with that port, Transistor/Diode, and on the bottom you will find a fusible link that would also open up with that port. Like Matt Knight said, this is coming from something plugged into a port that should not have been or out of building with no IROB protection. Good luck with finding out what is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back