Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DS3 Coax Loopback

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikectrcdd

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2003
US
I have to install a loopback for a DS3 data circuit. Is that just conect a piece of coax from transmit to receive on the LEC interface? thanks

Mike Maselli, RCDD

DS3? Coax? Maybe I'm in left field, but I would think a loopback would just be standard jumper cable?

that's all it takes if the LEC's DS3 handoff is coax jacks, just place a coax jumper

I've been out of the field for awhile, but every DS3 I've done was coax. Usually brought in on fiber to an OCx Mux and dropped to DS3 level for transmission via 75 Ohm coax. Loopbacks were normally programmed at the edge devices.

So here's my question(s):

1.Is the hard loop (which is in fact done with a 75 Ohm coax patch cable) being done to test the edge devices?

2. Have there been developments that changed the DS3 media to something other than coax?

Richard S. King, RCDD/LAN/OSP
TKG Consulting Engineers, Inc.

I think it depends on the specific peice of equipment. I have noticed that some equipment may need an attenuator on the coax to prevent overdriving the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back