Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DS1 Interface Cards 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkinney

MIS
May 8, 2003
NL
Good Morning,
I am on a G3siV6 and our company has doubled in size and phone users. I need your expert advice on my new call traffic concerns. I have looked at an upgrade to PRI to help with our busy time traffic jams but I would also like to know if just adding DS1 circuits could help with this? Maybe I just need more trunks to eliminate the busy in and out? I have 7 POTS lines but our calls are mainly LD.
I currently have only 2 (24 port) TN767 DS1 Interface cards. Can you add more and if so will it help or am I in the wrong direction? Obviously I am green on trunking so any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Tina

An upgrade to PRI wont do anything traffic wise except give you 1 less channel due to the D channel. You need another circuit regardless of if you stay robbed bit or convert to PRI.

-CL

I would just add the DS1 cards and not worry about PRI.

DonBott

If you add the ds1 board you need to also add a circuit from the provider. Be it PRI or standard T1. In other words the card is only the interface the circuit is what will provide you with additional trunking.

The benefits of PRI are ANI and flexibility with number manipulation etc. But as stated above a PRI is actually going to give you one less bearer channel then a standard t-1.

A analysis of your current trunks would be the first step. I have found that many pbxs have trunks that are out of service or underutilized. Many times u don't need more trunks, just some fixing broken trunks or changing of programing on your pbx or provider. Start with "list measurem out today", to see if u have any trunks out of service. Then do "list measurement trunks today" and see what trunks are showing all trunks busy(atb).
If u have users using trunks for internet access then they are probably tying up your resources unnecessarily.

If you add PRI dont forget you need to have the PRI software turned on in the switch which is very expensive in the older versions-FYIPRI is include in the upgrade now

Thanks everyone for the info. My local said ISDN was my only option (good sales pitch) because I'm on POTS but it is very expensive. I'm looking at trunk measurements and heading in this direction...i did a trunk analysis is ASA and it said to remove trunks in my 2 tie trunks and add in my co and DID's so it looks like some re-routing should help! I also saw the atb on my co and DID's.

Thanks

Where any trunks out of service? U can do " status trunk" They should be connected to a station or idle. U would't believe how many pbx s that I have dialed into and found trunk members out of service for month or Years! And the customer was paying for these busted trunks all a long, and getting busy when trying to dial in.

Yes I have statused and list outage. I do have one member out on my co trunk. It is one of my 8 POTS lines and is a local number. My co trunk has all of my pots lines. I have 2 tie trunks with 24 channels each. And 5 DID trunks. When I do a trunk analysis in ASA it tells me to remove trunks from the ties and add approx. 4 to the co and add 7 to my DID's. We have 200 DID's but not all are being used. When I contacted my local all they want to do is push ISDN and get rid of the POTS. I am contacting AVAYA to see if we can reprogram the trunks.

Thanks for the help!
Tina

Adding a T1 would certainly help your cause. Either Basic or PRI. Two T1's would be overkill but you have to consider your risks. Copper lines are stable. If one goes out no big deal. However, if your one and only T1 fails your in deep doo doo. If you choose two T1's your redundant for a circuit and/or card failure. You can also ask your carrier if separate routes from the CO to your premise is available. This would give you route diversity. Bottom line "How far does senior management want to go?" $$$$ is everthing!

The TN767 will support PRI on older releases. If you upgrade to Communication Manager 1.3 or higher the TN767's will not work. Avaya has blocked it so they can sell the newer TN464. In addition, Version 6 will support calling number but not calling name. Version 8.1 and later supports the name (refered as enhanced PRI).

Lastly, two great features with Communication Manager (Meet-Me-Conferencing) and (Extension to Cellular) work only with PRI utilizing TN464.

Thanks!
We were also looking at meet me conf. So if looks like it only works with PRI, I did not know this...this would be another selling point to corp. regarding upgrade and PRI. Avaya said they would not "turn on" PRI in my customer options on my 6 I would need to upgrade. Funny it was available when they installed 6 but not now.

the Pri is available, Avaya is just getting stupid, trying to force customers to the newer software. The software is already on your system, Avaya just needs to dial in and turn it on. Maybe a Avaya partner could help u?

My name is David, and I have approved this message.

P.S. A message to all,if you want to get the best response to a question, please read FAQ222-2244 first. Also give the type and version of your voice mail & pbx system & preview your post to make sure it is complete & understandable.

Please disregard PRI with Meet-Me-Conferncing. You don't need PRI for that feature but you do for EC500 (extension to cellular). Maybe one of the moderators can edit the above post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back