Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DRP /ICA Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwildin1

Technical User
Mar 29, 2004
US
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a workstation connection issue I have. I am a newbie to terminal servers but have been playing around with an old Eizo eClient 530L and a two test servers, one running windows 2000 and another running windows 2003.

I can connect to both of these servers without a problem using my home PC running windows XP / Remote Desktop Connection. The problem is, I want to use the old 530L.

Using the 530L, I can connect to the windows 2000 server no problem but only with 256 colour display. I read somewhere that this is the limitation of windows 2000 terminal server.

I thought if I tried using the Server 2003 test server I would get full colour but I cannot get the 530L to connect to it. Is this because of the different versions of RDP on the 2003 server and 530L? I read somewhere that the terminal client must be running RDP5.1 to be able to connect to a 2003 server runnning RDP 5.2.

So I can see two possible solutions here:

Upgrade the RDP version on the Eizo 530L to get it to connect to the 2003 test server.

Try using 'Citrix MetaFrame' on the 2000 server as I read this give more colours if I use the 530L in ICA mode.

Are either of these solutions even possible? I have provided a diagram of my current network setup.

ANY information is appreciated as this is driving me nuts!! Thanks IN advance.

Citrix will give you greater resolution and Colour depth.
You have a couple of things here. Check the firmware of your client and see if it supports greater resolution and colour depth, you may need an upgrade. I would check there web site and see if you can't get the latest RDP client for it. You may have to Flash upgrade so get the FTP working or have your laplink cables ready.

[blue]Arguably the best cat skinner around ! [/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Hi Scott, thanks for the comments. I should have mentioned that I have already contacted the vendor (Eizo) who say they have no RDP upgrades available for this discontinued product (the Eizo 530L eClient). I did upgrade it with the latest Firmware available off the site last week, without solving my problem.

The next model up (620L) looks like it has an RDP upgrade available and I have asked the vendor if there is any chance they could supply me with one for the 530L (I tried using the 620L RDP upgrade but it will notload). This is a long shot though as they probably want customers to upgrade the hardware rather than give them RDP patches for older hardware. Maybe it isn't possible to upgrade the RDP on the older clients, but looking at the specs, they seem to be running the same version of Windows CE as the server 2003 compatible ones..

By the way, do you know anything about the Citrix Metaframe 'add-on' for terminal services? If this is installed on the windows 2000 server, will I be able to connect to it using the 530L in ICA mode?

Citrix thats the way to go, but I would say that as I work for a reseller. Yes if it is installed on a Win2K server you will be able to use ICA. You didn't say what res & colours you have on the Eizo's. Are they capable of running higher. Judging from your spelling of colour you'll be in GB ? It may work out cheaper to get clients that are capable of running Win2K3 and going that way. Depends what you want to do. Citrix is not cheap, you need to want/need most of the features available to make it cost effective. But it is a great solution to some scenarios. (But I would say that wouldn't I)

[blue]Arguably the best cat skinner around ! [/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back