Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dropped network connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

coleford

Technical User
May 9, 2003
GB
Hi Guys,

I've got a handful of pc's that keep dropping off the network. The network connection initialises fine to start with but if you try to transfer a large amount of data the network connection drops!

Nothing pings - it's as if TCP/IP has un-bind'd from the NIC/connection??

I've tried different NIC's different drivers and different PCI slots but to no avail. The pc's were fine with W98 installed - this is a problem that has occured since installing W2k-Pro!

Anyone have any ideas??

Coleford

Check you event viewer in administrative tools and post the error back. It could your network hardware, such as configuration of switches etc..

Zaheer Ahmed Iqbal
I.T Systems Support Engineer
Bsc. (Hons).

We have had this problem. In our case, the NIC was not auto-negotiating with the switch correctly. New NIC drivers and changing the property for Link Speed from "Default" to "Auto" resolved the problem we had.

D

Hi,

I have run across the same problem with no success in resolving the problem. Tried to apply your suggestion danomac, however my NIC already was set to Auto Detect. Thanx for the suggestion.

Been chasing my tail trying to figure out the event viewer ID's. There is a whole slough of them: (System)7003,7023, (application)17,2002 Im sure I have something configured wrong but not sure where to start. Any ideas???

Thank you for any assistance you may contribute.
R

Hi tweeke

The first thing to check is to see if the "Client for Microsoft Networks" service is installed.

If it is, you should try uninstalling the network components and reinstalling them.

(Right click My Network Places, go to Properties, then right click the connection, and go to its Properties.)

It will show you a list of items installed. Uninstall all of them and reinstall them.

D

Thanks for the suggestions guys - had tried all the above to no avail, in the end a bios upgrade on the machines cured the problem.

Coleford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back