Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dropped calls problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechVol

MIS
Jun 12, 2003
US
I need some help with an ongoing problem with two Definity G3's we have a point to point T1 that our carrier provides that is just a span(or so we are told). The carrier does not provide any timing it is all handled by the master switch. But the problem is that about five times a day we suffer a brief drop of the trunk group. It does not stay down long enough for the attendant to be alerted on the console but it does disconnect any person on a call. This problem occurs between one of the master and slave switches but our other remote location runs with no problems at all. We have had techs from the LEC, Network Provider, Avaya, & Expanets(Who installed the switches) out here to look at it. But all they do is point fingers at each other. The network provider says the line is clean but Avaya says the problem is in the line and not the switches.

The other problem we see is that the logs on the DS1 boards reset with the line dropping.

If anyone has any advice or has ever seen anything like this please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help

What is the release and load of this switches? Once a time I had a similar issue with a csi with Release 8. The problem was solved upgrading the the software to a higher load.

I would look at the errors. Display error then resolved errors. Their should be something there to point you in the right direction. I have also had similar problems before. My director handled this very well. He had a meeting with all the vendors as they too were finger pointing. He had them work together on not their problem but "our" problem. It didnt take long and Avaya changed this and Bellsouth changed that, and the problems were resolved.

Mikey

Little more info:
Switches:
The switches are G3csi's and the software release is v11
the ds1 boards on each switch are TN2313a
and because of lack of upper management involvement on this we have no documentation on the switch (ie Error Codes) and no training all we got was three telephone switches and a pat on the head.
Line:
Point to point T1
local access provided by the lec
but it is an AT&T circuit

I too had similar problems but we also had noise (static, screeching etc.) and calls dropping. I could not find anything in the Definity system. I called my local carrier and they performed some tests. I also went round and round with the finger pointing. Turned out the problem was before the call even reached the switch, both smart jacks were replaced and I thought I was in the clear. NOT.
Then it turned out we had 3 bad circuits on the central office side (this will drop calls also). After the problem started up again, I went through the local carrier management and they contacted an engineer at our central office who had our lines upgraded from the pedastal out to the central office. This did the trick but this is at their cost which is why I think the local carrier will try to push the problem and expense onto you or AVAYA. Do you have an executive contact for your local carrier? If not you need to find one and tell them you want your central office contacted for testing of your circuits on their end and have a local carrier tech test the nearest box that you are connected to outside of the building. This should be their expense....
Good Luck!
Tina

Take a look at sync, display sync

make sure you are clocking from the network side on both switches. regardless of wether it is a span or not the network always supplies clock. use it. it's more stable than the tone clock on the switch, unless you want to pay for a seperate clocking unit? 9 out of 10 times these problems are the result of not setting the sync.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back