Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dropped Calls and Disconnect Supervision

Status
Not open for further replies.

biketech

MIS
Jul 19, 2004
US
Hi everyone.

This is a follow up to a thread I started a while ago - thread799-883480. When a user hangs up, there used to be a really long delay between when the user hangs up and when Norstar actually releases the line. I've called XO and they've turned on disconnest supervision. Now the lag is down to about 7-8 seconds. This is still just long enough so that if a caller hangs up at just the right time, Norstar believes the user is still there but just not doing anything, so it forwards the call to the operator. About 20% of calls to the operator are dropped calls.

My KSU/software - MDR5 ENG/SP (including DR5.1)
I've tried all the different values for the Supervision Disconnect time and none of them make a difference.

So my question is - Is a 7-8 second delay pretty typical? Is there anyway to decrease the amount of time between when the user hangs up and Norstar releases the line?

Thanks very much.

No this time delay is not typical.
With DS properly configured disconnect is almost immediate.
DS is supported by the CO in either of two ways one is a 600 Hz sent over the CO upon remote disconnect.
Or an 800 ms Open Switch Interval in which the CO opens the ground circuit.
In either case the Norstar should be able to detect the DS method used by the CO.

Not all 8x24 cabinets support disconnect supervision.
If your cabinet does not say DS on the front it is not a DS cabinet, therefore your first 8 lines will not support DS.

Any idea where exactly on the cabinet it would say DS? I don't see it anywhere. I guess the alternate question is - assuming my Norstar system does not support DS, is there someway to configure the Auto Attendant/Startalk to NOT automatically forward calls to the operator when the user is just not doing anything (or hangs up)?

right in front if its not there you dont have a ksu that supports disc sup

ONLY 17 WEEKS TILL SKI SEASON STARTS

i am having this problem also. cics 6.1 w/cp100, after a call disconnects cp does not release and eventually transfer call to reception with disconnect tone. The cards have DS enabled, which is really the only setting. Any other suggestions

From an earlier post by Jerry Reeve:

jerryreeve (Vendor) Mar 25, 2004
alternatively sandman's cpc tester bottom of page may be worth it to you.
JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

rustynails make sure the CO is providing the signal. You can have it turned on but if they don't send the disco.. then it don't matter.

I had a similar problem with a comdial system, if the call hit VM and caller disconnected, calls went all kinds of places and recordings and bothered the hell out of the operator and VM boxes. Couldn't resolve the issue with telco quick enough (loop start lines) end eventually put an avaya system in.

I assume if your system is at 5.1, your system is a MICS 0X32 not a 8X24? If so, disconnect supervision is available on DS or CI trunk cards only. The older cards (without DS or CI printed on the card) will work but will not provide supervision. It sounds like you have turned the feature on in trunk programming, so I would suspect that Telco is not providing the service on all lines.

DS is not 100% guarenteed, at least here in Canada where we are home of the Norstar. I have a BCM and a CICS here in our office (for demo purposes). The BCM offened (probably 1 out of 50 calls) does not get the DS from Bell. I know we use to have a SX200 from Mitel here and it was 99.999 accurit. The Nortel's don't seem to be 100%. We use the BCM 200 3.6 for every day use and we offen get voice mails with a message, ds supervisor (sounds like a pop) then dial tone, then a a loud repeatitive beep. Again this only happens 1 out of 50 calls and is livable, but I have to be honest, the Nortel's are a 100% on D/S . I do have this setup correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back