Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drop Down Menus

Status
Not open for further replies.

rr236

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2000
GB
All,

I have a website that uses frames. Basically the window is split into 2, a top frame which displays menu buttons, and a bottom frame which is populated by pressing the menu buttons.

I would like to change the menu buttons to drop down menus, but can't see a way to display a menu over the bottom frame.

Can this be done, if so, how? I want to continue using the frames, as this would require significant re-coding to use as a single template (frame).

Thanks
RR236

To my mind, the only solution is to add your sub menus as hidden divs (
Code:
style.display="none"
) in all your pages that are going to be loaded in the bottom frames. Then, on click on the top frames buttons, show (
Code:
style.display="block"
) the bottom div that you want to display. Water is not bad as long as it stays out human body ;-)

Targol,

Thanks, I've actually tried this on one of my test sites and found that it quickly became a headache when considering the maintenance of the system.

Is there no way of having a menu in one frame hover over another frame?

Thanks
rr236

Well, I don't think so. But you can override the maintenance problems by using an include script that dynamically creates the divs and manage them. All you got to do then in your "bottom frame pages" is to include the script. Water is not bad as long as it stays out human body ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back