Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

drop down menus in Excel 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

iainrkemp14

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2003
US
Hi all,

Does anyone know how I can put a drop-down menu into an excel spreadsheet?

I have a registration chart for people to complete, and in the fourth column I want to have a drop down menu for them to select from the list. I'm sure I've seen this done before but can't figure it out.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated! Cheers,

- Iain

Data validation..check it out in Help

Thanks all - that looks like just what I need.

I did have some trouble calling the 'list' from another sheet in the same workbook. Is this possible? Or is there a weay to hide the list that is the source for the drop down?

Cheers,

- Iain

If you are using the drop menu from the forms toolbar, in the input range put:

sheetname!Range (ie Sheet2!$A$1:$A$20)

If you are using the drop menu from the VB toolbar, go to properties and in the ListFillRange section, put the above range.

Blue

or if you are using data>Validation (as carr suggested), you will need to NAME the range you are referencing (Insert>Name>Define)- lets call it myList and then use
=myList
in the edit box under Data>Validation>List

Rgds, Geoff
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Want the best answers to your questions ? faq222-2244

excellent, this is just what I was looking for! thanks carr, have a star!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back