Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drop down menu 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneWolf2

Technical User
Jun 17, 2003
CA
I can not figure out how to link my drop down menu with other tables so that the info in those tables appear with the selected value of the drop down menu in seperate boxes.

Serge Langlois
Land Communication Information System Technicien

If you gave more details....

What application? Version?

Please clarify exactly what you want to happen. You have one drop down? Four?

If just one, you can select a single item - do you want that value to appear in a specific cell in a table? I am not sure what you mean exactly by "separate boxes". How do you want to get multiple values for "boxes".

Gerry

Gerry
Thank you for responding. The OS is W2K, app. is Access 2000, and what I want to happen is that when I select a value in the drop down menu it will pull all other relevant data beside it. I have tables that contain multiple information, so I want to use a serial number of a particular item and I want all the relevant information to appear beside it in other boxes.

Serge Langlois

Simply follow the ComboBox wizard

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

I am sorry, but I can not see your work, so I have no idea what "relevant information" may be, or where it is coming from, or where it is going to be displayed. The drop down selects a single item. if it is going to "pull" and "relevant information" (which it certainly could do), you will have to have some logic that does that action.

Perhaps use Select Case

Select Case DropDown.Result
Case 123456
' do this
Case 54678
' do this
etc etc
End Select

Perhaps you should take PHV's advice and follow the ComboBox wizard.

Gerry

I already tried the wizard and it didn't work.
OK, I have multiple tables that contain serial numbers and type of computer and what each computer has inside, ie> size of HDD, RAM, VID card, etc..., now what I would like to do is select from a drop down menu the serial number and have all the above fields to be displayed beside the serial number (relevant information).
Again thanks for your patience Gerry

Serge Langlois

Assuming all the tables share a common key (serial #?), this would be pretty easy to do on a worksheet with VLOOKUP formulas. Just apply data validation to one cell, and point it to the list of serial #s. In the adjacent cells, put VLOOKUP formulas that search the appropriate tables for the serial #, and return the desired value. When the user selects a serial # from the drop-down data validation list, all the related values come back.

Simple, clean, and no VBA required. . .

VBAjedi [swords]

VBAJedi is absolutely correct. You could do it in Word, but it certainly would be easier in Excel.

Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back