Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drop a Users Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

JONBOY74

Technical User
Sep 11, 2001
US
Hi all

I'm trying to build a frontend that connects to an Access db.

The apps will receive data from the db as well as pass data to it, therefore I need the connection to be active all the time will the frontend is loaded.

My question is :

Is there a way dropping the users connection of an access db without them knowing.

It would be rather obvious that the connection was missing when a user attempted to access data? So what is the point of hiding the disconnect from them? Just about as importantly, why would you want to even do it? If they have legit reason to access the data, denying (or removing) access seems inappropiate.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Maybe I'm missing some knowledge about Access etc, but I have found that if I need to repair a db and someone is in it, it won't let me. So I thought if there was a way of kicking out the users then....problem solved

should I therefore be looking at a different solution?

The point is ' without them knowing '. There are severl threads discussing a 'reasonable' approach to inform Users of impending shutdowns and providing them with prior notification of being 'kicked out'.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Thanks for the info, one last thing though, the main problem is that the users may have the apps up and running but are not at there desks (this happens alot).

So I supose this request is about 'last resort' and not everyday usage

Thanks

It is handled in various ways, depending on the organization and (sometimes) the specific issue.

It is (in my opinion) ALWAYS appropiate to notify the users when possible. The delay between notification and "Boot" could be variable, depending on the seriousness of the problem and its location.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Thanks again

Good points, I will notify the users when if a "Boot " is required, but what do I do about those who either don't respond or are away from their desks (lunch's, meetings etc)

Any pointers?????

Jon

Having given notice, those who do not respond are just booted. If you want to be super considerate, keep all users e-mail addresses and send them a polite letter noting that you notified them of a problem @{some date and time} and were forced to procede without their cooperation @{some OTHER date and time}. Might keep most of the complaints from going to the bosses.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

"those who do not respond are just booted".............. this is where I'm being stupid

As I'm using an Access db I can't just turn of the box, so how do I boot these bad bad people out of it???

Hi,

Me i think is possible to dropping user, but is very long programmation. First you need to connect the user only when save, modify record or need a value Qty, info,etc Transfert all information in Temporary Database for each time you need to get or tranfert record on server Back to Front End.

Each time you need transaction with server, you need check in special table if user can be log on server database if is not possible you can pop up a Message to user please waiting for advertise the user.

Eric Poirier

Not such a big issue. Discussed (here) in Tek-Tips. Use Search. Key word(s)? Boot; Users; ...

thread709-151062

is at least ONE reference with sample code. there ARE several others.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

It's easy when you know where to look, I did try a number of Key word search's but with no luck!!!.

@ first glance it's just what I'm after.

Many thanks to all who posted help and guideness on this matter.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back