Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Driving Directions - Can I get there from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxHead

Technical User
May 6, 2001
US

I recently had to attend a family event in a rural area about 100 miles away. When I called for directions I had to get clarification on directions like “turn left where they’re going to build the new church.”

Thought others might have interesting driving directions they’ve received over the years.

My favorite misdirection was a few years ago when I was looking for an Insurance Agent’s office in a small town and pulled into a convenience store to ask for directions. The clerk opened the phone book to a local map and traced her finger along the page until she finally found the spot I was looking for. “There it is,” she said to herself. Then, looking me right in the eye, she asked, “Where are you, now?”

John

When Galileo theorized that Aristotle's view of the Universe contained errors, he was labeled a fool.
It wasn't until he proved it that he was called dangerous.
[wink]

Santa said:
"Well, Dave used to have a moustache"

Dave,

I think I once bought your brother my drink. I.e., his tab, my rum-n-coke.

And Tracy's right - drinking kills brain sails, especially weekend ones. The sails do good, in Chicago, on Sundays.

Tim
(count to five, read again; count to five; read again...)

Tim

[blue]______________________________________________________________
I love logging onto Tek-Tips. It's always so exciting to see what the hell I
said yesterday.
[/blue]

To sum it all up: Isn't the right way the one, that would be left, if you remove all wrong ways?

Bye, Olaf.

I heard these directions somewhere - I can't remember where - it may even have been on Lost - but I don't think so.

Guy stops by at a farm deep in the outback of Australia and asks for directions to another farm.

"Oh right mate - yeah. Just go on about 30 miles till you reach the dead possum then turn right, mate!"

"Dead possum? What if it's been moved?"

"Moved mate? Would YOU move a dead possum?"

Yet another unchecked rambling brought to you by:
Oddball

my cousin lived in tokyo for a while and told me there are no street signs there. i asked him how people found places they hadn't been to before and he said "ask a policeman." i cannot fathom driving in tokyo and stopping every few minutes to ask directions. actually, now that i think about it i prolly wouldn't drive there anyway, but that's not the point.

conversely, in edmonton alberta, you need only know the address and quick orientation, and you can find anywhere - grid system: avenues e-w with number increasing from the south, streets n-s with number increasing from the east. those who live there can even identify which block the address is in by the number.

what a contrast!

per ardua ad astra

Hi,
In spite of some changes, Washington DC is laid out in a similar grid to Edmonton:
If I recall correctly( its been 20 years)
Numbers in one direction ( with quadrants NW,SW,NE,SE) and
Alpha in sets for cross streets ( a-z,aa-zz,a... - zz..., Single then multiple sylables as needed for each set of 26).
Diagonals are named for States..

So
2100 Elm St. NW would be the corner of 21st Ave NW and the fifth street in the 2nd alphabet or approx. 31 blocks from the center ( the Capitol)

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Most Toronto radio stations include directions to their advertisers locations rather than a street number alone, something like " ... East of Eglington, North of Bloor, between Glen Isle and Blarney".

Very convenient if you're touring the city and not at all familiar with its cast layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back