Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drives not seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackywing

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2008
FR
Hello Forum,

My Networker does not see all the storage Tek L80 drives. any idea?
Any one also has the diagram of connections at the back of the L80 libraries?

your help is much appreciated.

Hello,

some elements are needed to investigate :

- OS type, NW version
- type of drives
- type of connection (scsi, fc...)
- results of inquire command

Windows 2003
SDLT
SCSI
shows only 4 drives

I will try to get the results if those above are not sufficient,
thank you!!

NW version ?

Are your drives seen under windows ?
Are your drives connected to a single SCSI adapter or are dispatched among several ?
Have you checked SCSI terminations ?

Hello,

the drives are not seen from Windows, this is why i am checking also the L80 library.
Thank you for now, i will make sure we see it from windows before proceding with Legato troubleshooting.

Can you see the control port of the library with the inquire command ?

If not, it's certainly a SCSI problem (not easy to diag...).

Try to put only the control port (or a drive) on your SCSI chain. Make sure that the chain is ended by a terminator.

Has your config worked almost one time or are you in the installation phase ?

I will try that,
All my configuration was working, I had two drives with errors, so I changed those and after changing, the drives are not seen anymore, so all my config was working before.

Now all the backup and everything is working but on 4 drives instead of 6. I am doubting that someone messed up the L80 connections, do you think something is wrong with the 2 new drives? those are SDLT that came with the Chassis so no need to rewire or anything, just remove the old ones and put the new ones, but didn't work.

wrong scsi id ?
have you varied off/on these drives ?
what about flashing leds ?

Leds are green,
what do you mean by varied off/on these drives?
We checked the SCSI ids, it's allocated using the Library, it is a StorageTek L80.

When you change a drive sled, it must communicate with the library/scsi bus in order to synchronize itself.

But, for some reasons, sometimes this dialog cannot be fine, so in many library menu, there is an option that can put the drive in a 'sleep' state (vary off). After that, the 'vary on' command forces the drive to perform its 'boot' sequence, thus to be rediscovered.

I will check that also.
Any other advices? ideas? before the intervention which is scheduled for next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back