Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drives Keep Going Offline

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulkmail

MIS
Jun 11, 2002
US
Hi,
We have Veritas 9 build 4454. Scalar 100 (library) AIT w/two Sony drives. During backup drive one keeps going offline periodically and on occassion so does the library.
I disabled the Removable Storage in services. Does anyone else have/had problems similar? I can get them back online by sequentially rebooting both machines.

Thanks,

BM

Try stopping the BE services, power down the library, wait 30 secs, then power up the library and start the BE services.

Sounds similar to a problem we were having a Dell PVault with dual LTO drives. A temporary solution for the time was to slow the SCSI rate down on the card as it looked as if it was being overwhelmed sometimes on the bus with all the backup data coming in. The drives never went offline after doing this, but we sacrificed a bit of performance. Veritas had no further explanation other than that for us. Tried updating drivers for the 39160 SCSI card, tried downgrading them (seen problems with newer versions of some drivers causing trouble), tried re-SP'ing, tried reinstalling BE, tried reseating card in another slot, tried another identical card, etc. etc. This used to work no problem, but the fact that its inconsistent is what is bothersome - so I am going to be eventually rebuilding the machine (its just a dedicated backup server) to see if that cleans this up.

thanks guys, we had ADIC replace both drives and it seems to be fine for now. I am not familiar with altering the scsi rate but what setting did you end up changing it too?
I am very interested in knowing if you don't mind replying.

I found this issue to be haunting me whether it is arcserveit and a compaq tl891 or BENT with ADIC DLT libraries. I thought this problem went away since we got
the AITs but no luck.

Thanks again,

BM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back