Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drives don't Populate automatically in WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bozman

Technical User
Feb 6, 2002
CA
I have a cdrom and a cdrw drive on sec. IDE and 1 hd on pri. Both used to work fine in WinXP, but then out of the blue they stopped working. When I put a cd in either of the drives, the light comes on, the cd spins and then nothing. When I click on the drive letter an error comes up saying drive is inaccessable. However, if I go into hardware properties for the drive and then manually populate the drive, then it will detect the cd correctly and I can access it fine. So, the drives work but somehow windows doesn't populate the drives automatically. I have upgraded my ASPI drivers, swapped the drives on the IDE channels, reinstalled XP, uninstalled all cdburning programs and run RegClean and AdAware just in case. Both drives are up to date firmware wise, and software wise. All WinXP updates are installed. Please Help, I am at a loss.

600mhz Duron
256 ram
10 gig HD
40x cdrom
8x4x32 cdrw
soundblaster soundcard
geforce video

Thank you for any support you can render me.

I would say try only one drive at a time, swap out ide cables, maybe delete the devices within windows and let it autodetect them and reinstall them.

Already tried that, several times. WinXP detects the drives correctly and says that they are operating correctly. As I mentioned, I can read what's on the cd, but only when I manually populate the drive. Thanks for the idea though.

See if any of these Knowledge Base articles help you out.

"Incorrect Function" Error Message When You Access the CD-ROM Drive, DVD-ROM Drive, or CD-RW Drive (Q315350)
When you access the computer's CD-ROM drive, DVD-ROM drive, or CD-RW drive after you upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP, you may receive an error message similar to the following drive :\ is not accessible. Incorrect function. drive :\

How to Troubleshoot CD-ROM Drive Problems in Windows XP (Q314096)
This article describes how to troubleshoot problems with your CD-ROM drive in Windows XP.

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP (Q314060)
After you remove either compact disc (CD) recording software or other software from your computer, your computer may exhibit the following behavior: In My Computer, there is no access to your CD-ROMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back