Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drivers missing in Windows XP PRO when I reinstalled on Gateway notebo 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alkayem

Technical User
Oct 20, 2007
I have a Gateway notebook 6252GP. I needed to reinstall XP PRO now I am missing ethernet,multimedia audio & PCI modem drivers. Gateway no longer has the drivers I need & I can't find out who the manufactures are without taking my notebook apart. The part numbers won't even show search results at Gateway. I can't use my wireless from where I live so I really need my ethernet for at home. Please help.

Do you still have a serviceable machine that can use this program to perform an inventory of the hardware installed. It may even work from Safe Mode, but I have never tried that?

Belarc Advisor:
You might need another machine to get the small download.

I have a working desktop & a PClinq cable to transfer downloads. I ran Advisor but I'm not real sure what part I am looking for. Gateway tech said the motherboard manufacter but I can't see that.

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Gateway 6525GP 3401701
System Serial Number: T365AH1000108
Chassis Serial Number: T365AH1000108
Enclosure Type: Portable
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
1.70 gigahertz Intel Pentium M
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Gateway Rev 1.0
Serial Number: T365AH1000108
Bus Clock: 400 megahertz
BIOS: Gateway 61.01 02/24/2005
Drives Memory Modules c,d
60.00 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
56.48 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

QSI DVD+-RW SDW-082 [CD-ROM drive]

IC25N060ATMR04-0 [Hard drive] (60.01 GB) -- drive 0, s/n MRA301KJHL0T3H, rev MO3OAD4A, SMART Status: Healthy 504 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM 1' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM 2' has 512 MB
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 60.00 GB 56.48 GB free

Network Drives
None detected
Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
local user accounts last logon
Administrator 10/19/2007 11:21:42 PM (admin)
carla 10/20/2007 2:43:09 PM (admin)
local system accounts
Guest never
HelpAssistant never
IUSR_CARLA1 never
IWAM_CARLA1 10/19/2007 11:34:13 PM
SUPPORT_388945a0 never

Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account None detected
Controllers Display
Intel(R) 82801DBM Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CA
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller [Display adapter] (2x)
Seiko Epson [Monitor] (3x)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
Texas Instruments PCIxx21/x515 Cardbus Controller
Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD
Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4 None detected
Communications Other Devices

1394 Net Adapter
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
Physical Address: 00:13:CE:34:85:61
Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Microsoft AC Adapter
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
PS/2 Compatible Mouse
Texas Instruments PCIxx21 Integrated FlashMedia Controller
SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller
High-Speed USB Bridge Cable
USB Root Hub (3x)

Texas Instruments PCIxx21/x515 Cardbus Controller
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

Main Circuit Board - anything under that Title?
Multimedia - anything under that Title?

Did you get a CD with Drivers on it from Gateway, if so they might give you a clue as to what you need?

You can try this program and see if it gives you a better inventory?

Download Sites for Sandra Lite

When you get Internet you can go to and allow it to scan your machine and see if that helps you to know what you are looking for.

some of these things don't work because I can't connect to the internet but every scan so far comes up with no drivers & no ifo like manufacters for the device. Some people have said I would have uninstall the actual ethernet adapter then install the driver once I find it. If this was a desktop no problem but I'm leary about opening up my notebook. I'll try these last couple of suggestions. Also some sites say because there is a yellow question mark with the exclamation point it really might not need a driver, the BIOS or something else just needs updated to detect it.

Drivers make the hardware work correctly. What errors are you seeing in Device Manager?

Device Manager Error Codes

It shouldn't cost too much to ask a repairer to have a look at the guts of your Notebook and tell you what is inside it. Also Gateway Support should know what they have installed in the Notebook.

linney how do i get to the HKLM in the registry?

the errors are ?Other devices
?!Ethernet Controller
?!Multimedia Audio Controller
Gateway doesn't have the info except that Gateway itself is the motherboad manufacturer. The tech couldn't find anything for me except drives that are no longer there. She was nice, even called back but can't find the manufactuer either.

Get the drivers for your Network Card and then you can use the scans that I mentioned earlier.

"how do i get to the HKLM in the registry?"

Use (type) Regedit in the start run box.

Launch RegEdit and use the Help program as it is your best source of information about RegEdit.
These following links take the subject a bit further too.

310516 - How To Add, Modify, or Delete Registry Subkeys and Values by Using a Registration Entries (.reg) File

310426 - How To Use the Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Registry Editor Features

I remember the first time I looked at the Registry and how daunting it all seemed, but with time and plenty of safety nets (see below) it soon becomes as familiar as using Explorer.

If you change a key or value, use the Export function to save a copy of any key prior to your change. You just right-click on the highlighted key to find Export.

To backup the whole Registry for easy re-installation (even from other operating systems or DOS) I recommend this free program.

Registry Backup and Restore for Windows NT/2000/XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back